Firefox 3 - Still can't middle click Bookmarks to open new tab

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by streetfighter, Jun 18, 2008.

1. streetfighter macrumors newbie

I've been waiting for FF3 forever, and I still can't middle click bookmarks to open in a new tab. I've been doing this on PC forever. What gives for the OSX version????

2. Logan09 macrumors newbie

Firefox 3, and even Firefox 2 on mac both allow you to middle-click to open new tabs. You need to ensure the middle button is actually set to register as a 'middle button click'. Depending on the mouse you have you might be able to set this in the mouse settings, I'm not sure as I use an app called Steermouse which allows you to do that and other things.

If you can't change it in the standard mouse settings, then you could download USB Overdrive which should allow you to set your middle button correctly.

3. kai2040 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem but found a way round it. You have to install this extension called userChrome.js . Download and install it from here:
    http://mozilla.zeniko.ch/userchrome.js.html
    Now restart your browser as it asks you to, and go to "My Computer".
    Go to:

"C:\Documents and Settings\(your computer user name)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"

and there may be more than 1 folder. Find the one that has a folder called "chrome" inside. Open the chrome folder and minimize it.

Now download the attached ".zip" file, and unzip it. Inside you should find a file called "userChrome.js". Copy or move this file to the "chrome" folder you have minimized, and it will say the same file name already exists. Just press replace.

Close the folder, and restart your firefox browser. Click on your bookmarks with either a left click or middle button, and it will go to the next tab.

This worked perfect for me, and I am sure it will work for you too. I have saved you the trouble of adding codes and scripts, by attaching the finished file. I hope it helps.

As an extra thing, if you enjoy using tabs and would like to manage your tabs better download Tab Mix Plus. This just enables you to customise them with where the tabs are and what colour etc. You can find that here:

http://tmp.garyr.net/tab_mix_plus-dev-build.xpi

Hope this info helps mate ;)

Ihsan || Kai

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just realised mate you are using OSX. Here is the folder you should be going to, to find the "chrome" folder:

/Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/

AND

/Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/

In these folders you may find more than one folder inside. Just look for the one with the "chrome" folder, and move the attached file to that.

Hope it works, because I only tested on XP. It should work.....

Attached Files:

4. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Same problem here! I can middle click links, and bookmarks in the bookmark toolbar, and they open fine in new tabs. But if I middle click bookmarks in the Bookmarks Menu...they dont open in new tabs! Anyone know why?

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Dont see why this is a big deal... Not every feature on mac versions of software are on the windows version and vice versa.

6. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I wouldnt call it a "feature". If it works everyplace else, why not on the bookmark menu items?

7. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

It does if you open the Bookmarks ƒ in Firefox 2 and middle-click the link from there. An extra step I know, but the drop-down menu is not scripted to open with a middle click. The middle-click from within the BM folder in Safari does not work - booooooo!

Incidentally, fwiw, reading this post has educated me to the fact that I can open in a new tab with a middle click (I always used R-click > Choose till now). And I use a cheap generic PC mouse. Wooooooh! :D

8. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Think theres any extension or something that would script the bookmark menu to behave this way?

9. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004