Firefox 3 vs Safari, fonts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by migulic, Mar 25, 2008.

1. migulic macrumors member

I was comparing Firefox 3 (beta 4) and Safari 3.1 and I came across a strange difference in the way those two programs display fonts. Is this normal? Or am I just weird?

The fonts on Safari look a lot sharper and more legible than those in Firefox, and sometimes Safari uses a different font than Firefox. I have the default preferences on both browsers.

Is it possible that this will be fixed by Firefox 3 final? I love some of the new features of Fx 3, but the fonts are holding me back from switching.

To see what I mean, try opening this message board or the GameFAQs message board in both browsers.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I know this is caused by the behavior that firefox ignores the system setting of font AA, it insist on AA all the fonts.

Im not sure if firefox 3 will do anything to it, I saw several outstanding bugs related to this. I will let you know if I figure a way around this.

Attached Files:

3. migulic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, this is what I mean. Would this cause the font differences when comparing the two browsers (like on the MacRumors homepage)?

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I saw that report two, I see no answer tho.. Firefox 3 is switching to cairo, there may be improvement coming from that end.

I don't see any ppl propose anything regarding this yet....:eek: