Firefox 3 woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saisrujan, Jul 12, 2008.

1. saisrujan macrumors member

Firefox stops responding after using it for about two days. Everything works fine for about 2 days of use, then pictures / flash stops loading, then it stops responding to clicks, and finally it gets totally unresponsive. Moreover, I can't even quit firefox then. I will have to force-quit.

Has anyone observed this? This was not happening when I was on firefox 2. Now it happens now almost every two days, and gets to my nerves.

Is it just happening on my system or have you seen this too?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1. 2 days of continuous using?
    2. what addons do you have?
    3. does a new profile help?

3. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I've had this problem for about two years. It occurs in both Firefox and Camino.

Here is a thread I started last year.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=338057

I switched to Safari last year and haven't had a single problem with it. When FF3 was released I decided to give it another try, and the problem is still there. I now have a new iMac, and it does the same thing. It makes it an unusable browser for me. Sometimes it works fine for hours, and sometimes for days before crapping out, but it always does eventually. I know we aren't the only ones. I found other posts describing the same issue on this and other Mac forums. I read through the FF Support Forum but none of the recommended solutions worked for me, so I've gone back to Safari. Hopefully they'll figure out what the issue is, because I really like the features of FF3. Considering Camino has the exact same problem, it seems that Gekco is the issue.

In my case, I don't use add-ons. Not only have I tried new profiles, I've tried new computers with fresh installs.

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I know next to nothing about FF compared to clevin, but try updating to 3.0.1. Do you have both 2 and 3 installed on your computer? I don't know if that could do anything.

5. jdavidbakr macrumors newbie

jdavidbakr

I'm experiencing the same problem, even style sheets that are already loaded will sometimes stop being used. Seems to be prevalent on sites with lots of flash or javascript (not sure which would be the culprit). I can't get it to quit with apple-Q or the Quit in the menu but it does quit if I control-click on the icon in the dock and choose quit.

I don't want to switch to Safari because I have all my bookmarks in Firefox and am using a bookmark syncer to sync them between all the computers I use, so I just live with it, however if there is a setting in Firefox that can prevent this from happening it sure would be nice!

6. henhowc macrumors regular

Firefox 2 and 3 are horrible on the Mac. The browser crashes or freezes on me AT LEAST once a day. One thing you guys might want to try is disabling all of our plugins and extensions for a few days to see if any of the add-ons are causing the problem.