Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
download at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
release note: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/4.0b2/releasenotes/

whats new:

1. Tab on top on OSX now.
2. right click on tab to "make it into an app tab"
3. various speed improvement

app_tabs.jpg

previously on firefox 4 beta 1:

1. switch to already opened tab from awesome bar.
2. new addon manager
3. WebGL
4. WebM
5. D2D on windows
6. More HTML5
7. various speed improvement

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    787.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    555.9 KB · Views: 110

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
I'm really looking forward to Firefox 4.

the theme on the 2nd pic is sexy, whats it called?

It's not a theme, it's a Persona. I don't know what that one is called, but here's the repository:
http://www.getpersonas.com

I'm not really a fan of Personas, but that screenshot looks much nicer than what I've seen (the Persona actually blends with the title bar like it's supposed to).

UPDATE: Installed and using the new beta. It's pretty nice; I think I might stick with it for now.

JasonZ10

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, I installed it too, it seems like Safari is faster though.. :S

EDIT: I'm using that exact persona on Firefox right now :)

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what's the best way to run the FF 4 beta alongside the latest stable FF? I love using FF (when I'm not using Safari), but I also rely heavily on extensions.

Would it be as easy as renaming the app in the DMG to something like Firefox 4?

Thanks for any info!

I

iFanboy

OMG. Firefox 4 with personas looks like sex :eek:

Although, does anyone know what persona this is?

File:Firefox-4-Mockup-i06-(OSX)-(TabsTop)-(Persona).png

Attachments

• ff.png
    ff.png
    460 KB · Views: 68

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Who has made flash work with this release?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what's the best way to run the FF 4 beta alongside the latest stable FF? I love using FF (when I'm not using Safari), but I also rely heavily on extensions.

Would it be as easy as renaming the app in the DMG to something like Firefox 4?

Thanks for any info!

Multifirefox will let you run 2 versions. http://davemartorana.com/multifirefox/

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
It doesn't work if you use the 64 bit version. Flash is 32 bit only (at least for OS X). So if you want to use Flash, you have to use 32 bit Firefox.

its the same on window 7 too, adobe says they are working on 64bit flash plugin now.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
The compatibility reporter only lets you enable them, it does not make them work. That's the developers' responsibility and Firefox can't really do something about that, unfortunately.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
you can create new entry in about:config and set name to extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0b with value as false

It doesn't work in all cases, but most should work.

David.

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Why is it that they can't put the tabs truly on top like they were in the Safari Beta a while back? It bothers me that there is all that space above the tabs on the top. I don't care about the title bar! Same thing with Google Chrome (which is what I have been using). I just wish I could remove that little space at the top between the tabs and the top of the browser.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Why is it that they can't put the tabs truly on top like they were in the Safari Beta a while back? It bothers me that there is all that space above the tabs on the top. I don't care about the title bar! Same thing with Google Chrome (which is what I have been using). I just wish I could remove that little space at the top between the tabs and the top of the browser.

Many users need title space to move the window around, dragging title space also perform a set of functions in windows 7. Previous safari style tab on top cause significant problem in that area.

Im sure google, opera and mozilla performed investigation before they reach the conclusion. Which I happen to think is the right one, a 20px viewing space is not worth the function loss and usage debacle.

Discaciate

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I'm an old time firefox user and newbie to the Firefox + Mac combo.
Loving it so far, and this beta only made me love it even more!

One question: is it possible to move the "Close Tab" button from the right to the left? That would keep it consistent with the whole Mac OSX experience. Just like in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.