Firefox 4 crashing and CPU hogging - Is this just me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by weex23, Mar 22, 2011.

1. weex23 macrumors newbie

Hi,

this is NOT any sort of support request. i dont care about solving the issue. im just going to back to the latest 3.x.x.

today i upgraded from the latest 3.x.x version of firefox to version 4. i used firefox's updater on my 2.66 ghz i7 17 inch macbook pro (10.6.6) and here's what has gone on since:

• 1. firefox cant run for more than 10 minutes before becoming unresponsive and hogging CPU, turning on my fans. 3.x.x almost never did this since i got my MBP in august 2010
    • 2. all my history, bookmarks everything vanished after the update. also firefox does not store any history either while browsing or anything.
    • 3. everytime i load firefox the stupid welcome to version 4 page pops up and pushes my home page tab to the side. every time no matter what.
    • 4. i had 3 addons before updating: force tls, flashblock and noscript. none of them show up in any add on preferences yet they still appear to be partially working.
    • 5. netflix streaming stopped working. i just get looped thru a stupid install / restart to "close and reopen firefix in 32 bit mode".

just curious is anyone else have any issues like these? kind of like they botched the mac version or something? maybe it's just me.

2. GNice macrumors 6502

FF4 has been great for me...much better than FF3. Faster, less memory intensive and sexier too. Sorry to hear you aren't having the same great experience.

I've been using it extensively on my macbook air and haven't experienced any of the issues you've mentioned.

3. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

#3 suggests that Firefox's preference file may be corrupted. Or, at least, the issue is with some sort of configuration file.

4. Michaelgtrusa, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011

Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I would delete FF and all support files and re-install FF, then check.

5. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

No problems for me on my imac 20 c2d... I installed it earlier today and it's been great!

6. weex23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your feedback!

MichaelTheGeek2 /munkery: Yea that is what i was thinking to do. Clear out and re-install. I had to do that once before when some website totally corruped firefox to where it would NEVER exit cleanly (just hang). oh.. the website was stupid myspace music!!!

GNice: good to hear but yikes - 4 seems so chrome-like i just don't know what to make of it! i typically have chrome, firefox, and camino all running all the time. chrome for gmail, google docs, news. firefox for general browsing and camino for youtube and default browser for links from any other programs. well, i guess i just dont know what to make of the revamped UI!

I figured if it was a real widespread issue it would be in the news somewhere. Can't find anything but positive news. So I'll attempt to wipe all config files and such then re-install.

Thanks again for the feedback.

7. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

FF4 hogs CPU / graphics stutter

I had similar issues (CPU hogging) with FF4 on my feb-2008 MBP (2.4GHz, 4GB, 10.6.7) -- FF4's options window would stutter when changing area (no smooth stretching), and the application itself would reach more than 90% CPU usage with only a handful (6ish) tabs open, none of them YouTube.

8. The-Pro macrumors 65816

it always triggers the dedicated GPU on the 2010 i7 MBP, i hate firefox :D

9. koolrosh macrumors newbie

koolrosh

Did a reinstall fix the 32-bit issue? I'm getting that too oddly enough

10. dime21 macrumors 6502

no issues whatsoever here. no cpu hogging at all, in fact it uses markedly less cpu than ff 3.6 did. it does seem to use more memory than ff 3.6 though, but that's probably only due to being fully 64 bit now. 64 bit software always uses a lot more memory since it's physically larger.

11. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Updated to FF4 on my spare computer. FF4 is not compatible with my Delicious bookmarks, so that is a killer for FF4.

12. Yupper3D macrumors member

FF4 is hogging my CPU as well. I have a 2008 MacBook. I've seen it happen whenever I have Gmail open. My CPU goes to 110%, turning on my fans and using lots of battery. If I close GMail, the issue goes away. Weird... :mad: