Firefox 4 Fan Overheating Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cjjr72984, Apr 8, 2011.

1. cjjr72984 macrumors member

Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone here can help with something (or have heard other Mac users complaining about this).

I've been a Google Chrome user for the past 2 months now and love it! Except, some websites still aren't compatible with Chrome so I've been looking for a good alternative.

So Wednesday I decided to download Firefox 4 and give it a spin. And everything has been great.....except one thing. Whenever I use FF4 and go to any website that plays videos, my fan kicks into high gear. I'm talking about simple things like watching a vid on YouTube or watching a couple of vids on NFL.com for example.

The thing that puzzles me is I NEVER have this problem when using Chrome. The fan never kicks on when watching vids so I'm assuming this is an FF only issue. Have any of you guys on here have this problem?

2. DemSpursBro macrumors newbie

You're using a mac. There's a reason people say they're prone to overheating. They are.

3. cjjr72984 thread starter macrumors member

But like I said, this problem only occurs when I use Firefox 4, not Chrome or Safari

4. DemSpursBro macrumors newbie

Do the general.

Uninstall, run virus checks, reinstall. If it still doesn't work, uninstall Firefox 4 and try Firefox 3 (I think it got up to 3.16, I could be wrong). If nothing works, I've got no idea.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Obvious Troll

6. DemSpursBro macrumors newbie

http://tiny.cc/b3s1j

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Why are you even here? More people will pay attention to you in Windows forums.

8. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    troll alert . get back under u're bridge

to OP: what mac do you have?

i have the same problem with chrome whilst playing flash video, the core temp rises and fans thus kick in... the G!PU also changes from integrated to discrete
    i end up now using firefox and gfxcardstatus, and manually change the discrete card GPU back to integrated

9. DemSpursBro macrumors newbie

Selective reading much?

10. cjjr72984 thread starter macrumors member

I have a 2011 MBP 13" running Snow Leopard

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Once you wrote, "run virus checks," it was obvious you had no business replying in this thread. Also, Macs may run hotter, but that has nothing to do with the OP's post, since it only happens in FF.

12. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I had a similar issue when upgrading to 10.6.7.

I fixed it by resetting the pram and smc. Try that and let us know how it goes.

How to reset the SMC.
    How to reset the PRAM.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a virus in the wild that runs on Mac OS X. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
    I encourage you to read that before you embarrass yourself further in this forum by displaying your lack of knowledge.
    They aren't. Macs are prone to heating, as all notebooks are. They are not prone to overheating, regardless of the number of threads posted by those who are unfamiliar with them. Macs are designed to automatically shut down if they truly do overheat, which is around 105C/221F. Anything under that is within normal operating temperatures. Just because a new Mac user perceives that a Mac is running too hot doesn't make it true.
    PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with fan speed or heat issues. Resetting it will not help. SMC does address some fan issues, but will not resolve an issue that only occurs with a particular app.

14. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    sounds like the video card is switching from integrated to discrete

gfxcardstatus v2.0.1 let u see whuch video card is being used and gives one the option of changing between the two. Download here

it works with growl notification

15. cjjr72984 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I just downloaded this. Will report back if it works or not.

16. cjjr72984 thread starter macrumors member

Nope, my fan still kicks on with gfx showing that it's on "Integrated only"

17. densmtl macrumors newbie

gfxcardstatus is no use as there is only one integrated video card in the 13" MBP.

I am experiencing the same issue, with a 13" MBP i5... Is it possible that it is linked to the Firefox processus plugin-container.app? I noticed under atMonitor that this process takes quite some CPU resources while playing a flash video, not even HD...

While looking at a flash video, under atMonitor, I noticed that the process plugin-container from Firefox is