Firefox 4 idle CPU issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saxon48, Mar 30, 2011.

1. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Been having some difficulty with Firefox 4 ever since I downloaded it, something that never really happened with version 3.x

If I have two tabs open, say Facebook and MR, Firefox hovers at about 7-15% CPU, with my 7 or 8 addons enabled (including Flashblock). Under the same conditions in Safari (similar extensions and all), CPU hovers around 0-2%. I know it's not a desperately pressing issue, but that extra CPU usage affects my battery life in the long run, and also raises the laptop's temperature a good 8-10 degrees Fahrenheit.

The addons I use have all been updated by the developers, and I use only a bare minimum of plugins. I tried safe mode, a clean install, and making a new FF profile, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated on the matter.

Haven't really found anyone else with this issue yet...

2. saxon48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saxon48

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I just had 9 tabs open and FF was using between 2.1 and 3.4%, and one of them was TWC, running flash. I don't use a Flash blocker at all in FF.
    I have had problems with FF and themes in the past...I finally removed all the themes and just use the default.

4. saxon48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I've never used a theme.

5. saxon48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saxon48

6. saxon48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Hate to bump this, but the problem persists in 5.0.1. This is even more frustration because of the recent RAM issues with Safari 5.1, so Firefox would normally be my fallback, if not for this recurring issue.