Firefox 4 was the problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Speedy113, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Speedy113 macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2011
    I started a thread not to long ago saying that after the 10.6.7 update i noticed the fans were like jet engines when just watching basic videos. This is not the case, I just restored my macbook pro from a time machine backup which still had Firefox 3.6 on it and 10.6.6 update and everything was running smoothly again. I've just updated Firefox to number 4 and all the excessive heating and fan noise is back.

I hope this helps some of you that might of been having the same problems.
  2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, well, there are both pros and cons to hardware acceleration.
  3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2009
  4. Inara macrumors member

Feb 28, 2011
    Modern internet browsers use hardware acceleration, thus if you don't want to use the discrete card to watch just a video, install gfxcardstatus and force your MBP to use the integrated video card all the time, switch to the discrete one only when you need it.

Example: If I use Steam to play L4D, then I quit and use Steam to download an another game, the discrete card remains active, which is a situation that I don't want to happen, for this reason I control manually the video card switching.
  5. mark28 macrumors 68000

Jan 29, 2010
    I don't think the problem is firefox 4.

It's dead quiet over here watching video's ( with Flash ofcourse ) on firefox 4.
  6. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2010
    how do you turn off hardware acceleration?
  7. AlanFord macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Useing firefox 4 for 2 days now and dont have any problems.Nor with the fans, (2k rpm) or the temperatures.It goes arround 45 to 60 C, and the max is when useing youtube.Got 5-6 tabs open regulary.
  8. scupking macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2010
  9. Speedy113 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 3, 2011
    I'm just reporting what I found. You tube never really set it off which was strange but it definitely ran about 10 degrees hotter with Firefox 4. I was watching a lot of BBC iPlayer and after about 1 min with Firefox 4 the temps were really high and the fans were like jet engines! I'm now using Firefox 3.6 and watching the same videos and its absolutely fine.