Firefox 4b1 out

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ruinfx, Jul 6, 2010.

1. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

Firefox 4b1 is now released.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

sidenote: whoever at mozilla designed "tabs on top" for osx should be slapped a couple times in the face.

when you look at chrome or even safari 4 beta you just wonder how they could make it look SO UGLY.

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Tabs on top may be ugly, but they save a lot of space and seem more functional to me.

I haven't downloaded it yet, but it looks like a great release. 9to5Mac said that the new interface was Windows-only for now.

3. alphaone macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what you mean, looks pretty much the same to me... (see attached screenshot).

I'm getting this weird issue where a second phantom instance of firefox opens in my dock after going to certain webpages. Pandora is one of these pages. I'm curious to know if anyone can duplicate this behavior.

Attached Files:

4. ruinfx thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats tabs on bottom. see my screenshot for the ugly.

and regarding your "issue" its probably a bug with the isolation of processes. i heard flash does the same thing.

Attached Files:

5. alphaone macrumors 6502

Ah I see, yeah that's terrible.

Yeah my issue does seem to be a process issue. If you look at app monitor it lists the main firefox instance as having the parent process of launchd (nothing out of the ordinary there) and having the process group of firefox. The 2nd instance when it shows has the parent process of firefox and is in the firefox process group. I don't think that's supposed to pop up as an active application. Don't even know what the separate firefox process is, never noticed it in previous versions.

edit: Yeah it's definitely caused by flash starting up. Stupid flash...

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Came out several days ago but the addons don't work for this version.

7. alphaone macrumors 6502

Adblock works, that's the only addon that I care about really.

Flash is really screwed up in this beta. Besides the phantom instance issue all flash objects when at full screen appear at a level behind the dock and menu bar.

8. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

How about actually reading the release notes before you start to complain about an early beta version :)

9. alphaone macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. Totally missed that the release notes are in collapsed form down there. Not complaining about a beta at all personally, I enjoy them.

Glad to see that the 2nd firefox icon is a known issue: "When plugin content is loaded in a separate process, a second icon appears in the OSX Dock (see bug 557225)."

Also this: "Although you can customize Firefox to show tabs on top for OSX, it really doesn't look good. We suggest you wait."

The flash objects showing up behind the dock and menu bar at full screen issue doesn't appear to be a known issue though at this point.

10. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Anyone else having problems loading the feedback pages? Both the "happy" and "sad" ones just sit there saying loading where other pages are opening quite fine.

Ironic to say the least.

11. alphaone macrumors 6502

Same here. For me it's just the sad one though. I think it got used so much it broke.

12. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Having used Firefox exclusively for many years, I think this is another step in the right direction. It looks extremely promising so far --- particularly the Windows build. However, I don't have anything that runs Windows, so my questions are about the Mac version:

Is there any way to hide the bookmarks button to the right of the address bar? I don't want to edit my profile files because I share them between several computers.

Is the glitchiness with full-screen mode recorded anywhere? I didn't see it on the release notes. It caused Firefox to crash on me twice.

Anyone else finding it no longer 'remembers' the size of each monitor? I regularly switch between 2560 x 1600, 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720. Previously when I changed between these, Firefox would fit itself to the full monitor size - now it just gets stuck to what I've used it with most recently.

Aside from these little niggles, which I'm sure are only small, I'm looking forward to the double-icon going away when loading a plugin, and this release will be perfect for me. Especially with the greatly improved Magic Mouse scrolling. :)

13. revokin macrumors member

revokin

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah it is for me too.

Flash crashed about 5 times though but other than that its really good.

I wonder if they're going to change the UI a bit. The windows version looks really good.

15. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

16. jgassens macrumors newbie

Easy enough

Download the Add-on compatibility reporter add-on. Most of them will work.

I think FF4 is very snappy. Maybe not as quick as Chrome, but a substantial improvement over 3.6. I've noticed some 'jumpiness' with the cursor and in opening menus and I've not been able to attribute that to any particular thing I'm doing.

Overall, very impressive, actually.

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

18. celticpride678

Firefox is still junk to me. Horrible UI and horrible performance.

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I will try this thanks.

20. alphaone macrumors 6502

I've been playing with the beta on my windows machine too. The windows build feels like a final version. I haven't been able to find much wrong with it so far besides a brief strange window size spaz out when clicking on an object to open a facebook share window. Definitely much more polished than the mac version.

21. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

What if you choose to show the bookmarks toolbar which is now hidden by default. Does it go away?

22. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Yes, but I don't want that either. :eek:

23. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

If the two icons for Firefox on the dock are annoying you, do the following to disable it:

Type about:config in the location bar, and enter that page.
    Search for dom.ipc.plugins.enabled and change this value to false.
    Restart Firefox.

If this does not work, which it did not on one of my systems, you need to manually change the value for each individual plugin. The plugins are listed beneath this value. :)