Firefox 5.0 Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macnificant, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I have a IMac and use firefox 5.0 as web browser. When I double-click on the iconthe app doesnt open. You have to right click and select new window.

Cannot figure out why this is and cannot figure out home to fix it.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem or what I did wrong to cause this?

Cheers

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I'd venture a guess and say that you're not actually quittung Firefox. If the light is still on under the icon, the application is still running. To fully quit Firefox, press CMD and Q on your keyboard or select the option under Firefox in the menu bar.

Clicking the icon in the dock won't open a new window automatically, when it's already running.

3. simsaladimbamba

Have you reset Firefox yet? Or deleted its .plist file in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / org.mozilla.firefox.plist

I thought so too, but did a quick test and closed all FF windows (I use the latest FF version 5.0) and clicked on the FF icon in the Dock. It opened a new window for me on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

4. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still see the plist file

I see the dot under the FF Icon and double left clicking doesnt work. If I quit FF I can double click to open but I should be able to do this while FF is running with no windows right?. I did before.

5. simsaladimbamba

The .plist file gets recreated upon a restart of FF, as it has the preferences stored inside.

And there is no need to double click on the Dock, a single click is enough.

What about resetting FF?

6. Macnificant, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried deleting and reinstalling FF I cannot bring up firefox when is minimized either.

I have to go to the bottom of the screen and click in the minimized screen

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

When you use a browser, you open the program.

Unlike Windows, it's possible to have the program open withOUT having an actual window open.

If you open Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc. and then close the window, the program is still open. Because of this, if you just click the icon, you should see your toolbar at the top change to correlate with that program.

You can click on the icon and hit CMD+N to open a new window, that's what I do. OR you can either click and quit the program OR hold CMD + Q to quit the program when you're done using it.