firefox 7

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by N-Y, Sep 27, 2011.

1. N-Y macrumors regular

does anybody know why we still can swipe in firefox... version 7 came out today, and still same issue

2. bp1000 macrumors 65816

3. iVoid macrumors 65816

Another firefox major version? I guess we can expect Firefox X in December for xmas. :)

4. Jaffaman27 macrumors member

Firefox 9 is going to be released before end of the year AFAIK..
    I dont really mind, I think it's more crying for nothing. Not so big a deal.
    And I'm a web developer and I've noticed no difference in rendering since FF4 so that's all good too.

Anyway..What you mean swipe?
    You mean back and forward in history?
    Dont know, but use BetterTouchTool and you can do all sorts of cool stuff.
    Three finger swipe back and forward, rotate to change tabs or whatever you want. :cool: Apple will never give you so much choice and freedom to customize and better yet, it's a free app.

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, but 8.0a2 is out (Aurora) and it seems solid and is quite fast.

I have been using it for several days with no issues. I like it better than Chrome....

S-

6. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

They're chasing down Chrome, which is at version 14. I think it's freakin' stupid. Shoulda just left the version numbers alone. IMO they're losing credibility.

Rob

7. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

8. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I like the old style. It's a pissing contest between companies to have the largest number.. to me if I see a product that's in version 11 or whatever it's most likely going to suck.

Just keep the large releases to the base numbers.

9. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Fire Fox 7 works great on my SL, Lion, W7 and W8 installations. The only thing it can't do well that the bloated and slow Safari can do is ad control via extensions. Adblock for Safari is beyond anything I've found for FF. In spite of that I still use FF on my computers.

10. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

The version numbers have nothing to do with a pissing match and everything to do with the whole reason Google developed Chrome in the first place.

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I don't understand why people don't like the rapid release schedule so much. I love it. And Chrome has been doing rapid releases from the beginning.

Also, I don't know about Firefox 7 or 8, but in Firefox 9 and now 10, you can use the 2 finger back and forward gesture. There's no animation though. I suppose they will add it later.

And I don't know about you guys but Firefox is so much faster than Chrome. It has really caught up. Chrome is the one that feels bloated and slow now. Trust me, just give Firefox 7 a try. It's awesome. Or you can just download the Beta(Firefox 8). That's even faster. Or the Aurora which is Firefox 9.

Or if you want to be running the bleeding edge, you can even download the Nightly which is Firefox 10 which is what I'm using right now. It's completely stable even if it's a pre-alpha version.

They are going to keep the version number. I still see it on mine.

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Aurora is Firefox 8.

S-

13. Watabou, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Firefox 8 is now beta. Firefox 9 is Aurora now and Firefox 10 is nightly. If you're running Aurora and haven't got 9, you will probably get it tomorrow but Firefox 9 is already out for Aurora.

It's just like how Chrome has a release, beta, dev, and canary channels.

14. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Haha that is so crazy! (In a good way, and overwhelming) I think its great that they're keeping on top, There's always room for improvement!

15. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

16. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Can't find the link to beta 8. Do you have it?

17. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

18. AudioMan macrumors newbie

FYI...

Tonight when I launched my shiny new FireFox 7, LittleSnitch told me that "FireFox wants to connect to www.appliedsemantics.com on port 80".

Do I choose to allow?

I choose "Deny" and FireFox is blank. Still open and running just no page, no tabs. Notta.

Some collusion between FireFox and Google?

Why should it be mandatory to allow Applied Semantics access on port 80 of my machine?

Check it yourself. Strange.

19. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa