Firefox 8.0 for iOS Brings New Tab Experience, Night Mode, and QR Code Reader

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mozilla has released Firefox 8.0 for iOS with several notable new features including a Night Mode, a built-in QR code reader, and a redesigned tab experience.

Changes to the web browser's tabs mean users now see recently visited sites whenever they open up a new one, combined with highlights from previous web visits. Mozilla says this change in particular will be rolled out to users gradually over the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

As for the new Night Mode, this refers to a web page brightness dimming feature for easier reading in dark environments, rather than a darkened interface as such.

Version 8.0 of the browser also introduces Feature Recommendations, which are basically hints and time-saving tips to help users improve their Firefox experience. In addition, it's also now possible to send a web page or tab to another Firefox-synced device, across both desktop and mobile devices.

Other smaller tweaks to the app include yMail as one of the supported email clients, the password manager now has improved login page detection, and when users copy a link Firefox will now prompt them to open it, rather than having to paste it in manually.

Firefox 8.0 web browser is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Firefox 8.0 for iOS Brings New Tab Experience, Night Mode, and QR Code Reader

2. simply258 macrumors regular

I don't understand why a local feature needs to be rolled out over time and not on release.

3. LDNA macrumors newbie

LDNA

And yet you still can't rearrange tabs on iPhone or iPad

4. Shortdog macrumors newbie

Shortdog

5. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

iOS 11 already includes a QR code reader built into the camera. No real need for it in Firefox.

6. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

It's nice to see Zawinski's Law still applies.

7. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Who uses Firefox nowadays, when there's a perfectly fine one...Safari.

They just fixed it, oh wait...that was 2013

8. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

Downloaded it and gave it a go on my iPad Mini. It's a bit slow and clunky.
    Safari is still way ahead.

9. Larry The L Suspended

I love how sure you are of yourself. So I won't waste your time informing you of some very severe limitations in Safari. I had to use Chrome to accomplish things that Safari completely FAILS at. Safari if far from being fail safe.

10. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

1. You used Chrome, not Firefox.
    2. Nothing is perfect.(I have no limitations in Safari, if sites use Java/Silverlight I won't use them).
    3. Safari is the fastest browser.
    4. Safari is included when you install macOs so why bother changing to another.
    5. You won't see me using anything google, chrome included, and yes, I block ALL google scripts/Adds/cookies/trackers...

11. Whimseh macrumors member

Oh hey Chrome did this already.

Anyways, QR codes aren’t even a thing anymore... These companies are so late and so out of the loop when they should be at the forefront.

12. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Ha. Definitely in need of a freshen up.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 21, 2017 ---
    Surprised no one has chimed in about that device mockup. :eek:

13. ges macrumors member

Apologies for off-topic, but wouldn't the phone in the picture above be a great iPhone? The footprint of the SE but bezel-less meaning the screen could be around iPhone 6 size. And looks great.

14. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

If it had a built in ad blocker I'd use it ...

15. hotgril Suspended

hotgril

I appreciate what Mozilla does, but why bother with Firefox on iOS? Is there some killer feature I'm missing?

16. stainless macrumors member

stainless

Yes, it syncs tabs to your desktop and via-a-versa. So one can begin an article or find a company to use and get home and sync to their Firefox... But my Safari already does that (he/she says), ah not on Windows!

I do agree that QR codes are DEAD for consumers, great for business use for inventory, tracking, etc. but a pain in the backside for consumers.

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Good chucks of that don't apply to many who use PCs.

18. hotgril Suspended

hotgril

Seems that Safari should just have some cross-platform support for this if that's it. That's also the only reason I've heard for using Chrome.

Anyway, I know I'm not everyone, but I've never had the desire to save tabs on my phone and have them appear on my desktop or use history from my phone, nor have I ever seen someone do that. Not really worth.

19. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Safari is most assuredly NOT the fastest browser for iOS. I mean, it SHOULD be...

20. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I agree---wish Chrome/Opera/Firefox could use the content blockers introduced in iOS 9. Apple's smart to keep that Safari specific.

21. aleni macrumors 68020

22. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

You're worried about tabs?
    * Still cannot save a bookmark to a new folder (unable to create one on the fly)!
    * Still poor UI of saving bookmarks
    * Still cannot collapse folders when not needed when opening or saving bookmarks!

See above!

More importantly cause someone at Apple felt it was smart to:
    no longer create Safari for Windows PC's
    - BUT cross platform worked for the iPod Classic (before it was called Classic)
    - still makes iTunes for Windows and drivers for iOS devices to connect.

So why isn't Safari available since 5.1.7 for Windows?

23. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

sad to know there are real people burning real manhours polishing this stale turd

24. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Safari is leaps and bounds better. Not perfect. But

25. Sill macrumors 6502a

I don't understand - why the alternate browser thing on iOS? Doesn't Apple guidelines require that every browser installed use Apple's browser engine? So whats the difference in using another browser? Aside from the whole Chrome spyware thing, I mean.