Firefox 8.0 for iOS Brings New Tab Experience, Night Mode, and QR Code Reader

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mozilla has released Firefox 8.0 for iOS with several notable new features including a Night Mode, a built-in QR code reader, and a redesigned tab experience.

Changes to the web browser's tabs mean users now see recently visited sites whenever they open up a new one, combined with highlights from previous web visits. Mozilla says this change in particular will be rolled out to users gradually over the next few weeks.

As for the new Night Mode, this refers to a web page brightness dimming feature for easier reading in dark environments, rather than a darkened interface as such.

Version 8.0 of the browser also introduces Feature Recommendations, which are basically hints and time-saving tips to help users improve their Firefox experience. In addition, it's also now possible to send a web page or tab to another Firefox-synced device, across both desktop and mobile devices.

Other smaller tweaks to the app include yMail as one of the supported email clients, the password manager now has improved login page detection, and when users copy a link Firefox will now prompt them to open it, rather than having to paste it in manually.

Firefox 8.0 web browser is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Firefox 8.0 for iOS Brings New Tab Experience, Night Mode, and QR Code Reader

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Downloaded it and gave it a go on my iPad Mini. It's a bit slow and clunky.
Safari is still way ahead.

Reactions: bwillwall

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
Who uses Firefox nowadays, when there's a perfectly fine one...Safari.
I love how sure you are of yourself. So I won't waste your time informing you of some very severe limitations in Safari. I had to use Chrome to accomplish things that Safari completely FAILS at. Safari if far from being fail safe.

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I love how sure you are of yourself. So I won't waste your time informing you of some very severe limitations in Safari. I had to use Chrome to accomplish things that Safari completely FAILS at. Safari if far from being fail safe.
1. You used Chrome, not Firefox.
2. Nothing is perfect.(I have no limitations in Safari, if sites use Java/Silverlight I won't use them).
3. Safari is the fastest browser.
4. Safari is included when you install macOs so why bother changing to another.
5. You won't see me using anything google, chrome included, and yes, I block ALL google scripts/Adds/cookies/trackers...

Reactions: jef82 and DeepIn2U

Whimseh

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Oh hey Chrome did this already.

Anyways, QR codes aren’t even a thing anymore... These companies are so late and so out of the loop when they should be at the forefront.

ges

macrumors member
May 20, 2016
Apologies for off-topic, but wouldn't the phone in the picture above be a great iPhone? The footprint of the SE but bezel-less meaning the screen could be around iPhone 6 size. And looks great.

stainless

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Colorado
I appreciate what Mozilla does, but why bother with Firefox on iOS? Is there some killer feature I'm missing?
Yes, it syncs tabs to your desktop and via-a-versa. So one can begin an article or find a company to use and get home and sync to their Firefox... But my Safari already does that (he/she says), ah not on Windows!

I do agree that QR codes are DEAD for consumers, great for business use for inventory, tracking, etc. but a pain in the backside for consumers.

Reactions: hotgril

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
2. Nothing is perfect.(I have no limitations in Safari, if sites use Java/Silverlight I won't use them).
5. You won't see me using anything google, chrome included, and yes, I block ALL google scripts/Adds/cookies/trackers...
Good chucks of that don't apply to many who use PCs.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

hotgril

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Artsakh, Armenia
Yes, it syncs tabs to your desktop and via-a-versa. So one can begin an article or find a company to use and get home and sync to their Firefox... But my Safari already does that (he/she says), ah not on Windows!

I do agree that QR codes are DEAD for consumers, great for business use for inventory, tracking, etc. but a pain in the backside for consumers.
Seems that Safari should just have some cross-platform support for this if that's it. That's also the only reason I've heard for using Chrome.

Anyway, I know I'm not everyone, but I've never had the desire to save tabs on my phone and have them appear on my desktop or use history from my phone, nor have I ever seen someone do that. Not really worth.

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
Safari is most assuredly NOT the fastest browser for iOS. I mean, it SHOULD be...

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
And yet you still can't rearrange tabs on iPhone or iPad
You're worried about tabs?
* Still cannot save a bookmark to a new folder (unable to create one on the fly)!
* Still poor UI of saving bookmarks
* Still cannot collapse folders when not needed when opening or saving bookmarks!

Downloaded it and gave it a go on my iPad Mini. It's a bit slow and clunky.
Safari is still way ahead.
See above!

Good chucks of that don't apply to many who use PCs.
More importantly cause someone at Apple felt it was smart to:
no longer create Safari for Windows PC's
- BUT cross platform worked for the iPod Classic (before it was called Classic)
- still makes iTunes for Windows and drivers for iOS devices to connect.

So why isn't Safari available since 5.1.7 for Windows?

BigDO

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
sad to know there are real people burning real manhours polishing this stale turd

Reactions: LDNA

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
I don't understand - why the alternate browser thing on iOS? Doesn't Apple guidelines require that every browser installed use Apple's browser engine? So whats the difference in using another browser? Aside from the whole Chrome spyware thing, I mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.