Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Firefox will soon hand over FTP requests to other applications, as Mozilla begins to phase out the browser's long-standing FTP implementation in the next stable release.

mozilla-firefox-banner.jpg

Mozilla announced its intention to disable support for the FTP protocol last year, but the plan was delayed because of the global health crisis.

One of the oldest network protocols still in use, FTP handles file transfers between a server to a client, but it's no longer considered a secure way of uploading and downloading resources, and there are no good reasons to prefer it over HTTPS.

FTP will be disabled by default in Firefox 88, set to be released on April 19. Come June, all code relating to FTP will be removed altogether with the release of Firefox 90.
"Most places where an extension may pass 'ftp' such as filters for proxy or webRequest should not result in an error, but the APIs will no longer handle requests of those types," wrote Mozilla add-ons manager Caitlin Neiman in a blog post.

"To help offset this removal, ftp has been added to the list of supported protocol_handlers for browser extensions. This means that extensions will be able to prompt users to launch a FTP application to handle certain links."
When Firefox 90 is released, users will need a dedicated FTP browser to access remote servers in the future. Google removed FTP support with the release of Chrome 88 in January.

Article Link: Firefox 88 to Disable FTP Next Week With Full Removal Set for June

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Adobe still have their FTP pub site! ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/
Safari just hands it over to Finder nowadays, where you can sign in as a guest to browse the files. In the past you could browse these folders in your browser.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
The only time I may use FTP is to update the firmware on some older printers. However, the companies that made the printers haven't updated the firmware for the printers I have at work in years, and I've already updated them. So the point is moot.

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
I thought they got rid of it years ago, I had to use a FF extension for ftp?

trash eighty

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2020
UK
I can't remember the last time I used ftp through a browser. I do use it regularly (including today) using dedicated clients.

portland-dude

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2021
No good reasons? BS. I serve old Macintosh software to the public via FTP. No login require, nobody is going to give two shi** if it's encrypted or not.

Localcelebrity

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2004
Chicago, IL
I had NO IDEA Firefox ever supported FTP. Why this was ever included after they transitioned from Seamonkey and everything else was hacked off is beyond me.

MacBH928

macrumors 604
May 17, 2008
How do you do, fellow kids?

Back in the day FTP was the only way to transfer files to and back from your website server. How do they do it now?

Reactions: Solomani
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.