Firefox (and Camino) having problems opening word documents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KB14, Jun 4, 2008.

1. KB14 macrumors newbie

Hi, when I've been opening word documents in attachments and on websites, Microsoft Word opens a blank document on firefox, whether I open it or save it to disk (it has worked before). However, Safari does not have this problem. Any reasons for this? Have Mac OS X 10.5.2

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What version of MS Word are you using? What version of Firefox?

I can think of two possible causes:
    1. Trying to open the document before it's finished downloading
    2. Documents getting corrupted during transfer
    The first one is very easy to do, because of the way Firefox handles downloads. Firefox 2 creates two files - the final file, and a file with .part appended to the end where incoming information goes. Once the file is completely downloaded, this .part file gets deleted. Safari, on the other hand, creates a .download file and stores the information there as it's downloading - thus making it impossible to accidentally open a partially downloaded file.

3. KB14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Using latest version of Word (Office 2008 with update) and Firefox 2.0.0.14. Email attachments are now working, but not documents from websites. The download finishes also before I open the file. It seems that others have had this problem too. http://www.flyteblog.com/flyte/2008/06/problems-openin.html

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I read about this elsewhere this morning. Firefox is assigning an ancient TYPE code to Word .doc files. Word 2008 does not recognize the TYPE code. Try opening the file directly from within Word rather than double-clicking.

5. KB14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, it works when you open within word, hope firefox addresses this issue in an update