Firefox and certain Forums on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by orange42, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #1
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and if it doesn't belong on this site, but I'd prefer answers from people here over somewhere else anyway.

    So, on my MacBook I use Firefox probably 99% of the time. The other 1% goes to Safari when I'm trying to post on certain forums such as http://www.syracuse.com/forums/orangebasketball/ and http://www.nj.com/forums/giants/ . I can't post on those forums using Firefox for some reason. It asks me to log in, and I do, and then the page just goes blank white.

    Does anyone know what the problem could be with my Firefox since it works with Safari? Thanks.
     
  2. sml238 macrumors regular

    sml238

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    #2
    i have the same problem with safari except with safari i cant log into my universities database. i click login and it jut brings me right back to type in my username/pass. just use safari or something else. firefox takes up way to much system resources anyway
     
  3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

    NewMacbookPlz

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    #3
    Firefox runs like a champ on my MacBook...version 3.6 and just as fast as Safari in day-to-day stuff. Being able to run AdBlockPlus and TabMixPlus > Safari.

    As for the OP, what version of FF are you running? Any addons like AdBlock of NoScript that may be causing issues?
     
  4. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #4
    I'm running 3.5.8 and the only add on I have is Foxytunes. I might have a different theme too but I don't remember I haven't changed it in forever. I like FF because on the tab bar it shows icons of my tabs rather than words and I can fit a lot more.
     
  5. sml238 macrumors regular

    sml238

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    #5
    google chrome shows icons too and its really light compared to ff
     
  6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

    NewMacbookPlz

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    #6
    Have you tried 3.6? It's far faster than 3.5.8 in my experience and all my plug-ins and whatnot transferred just fine.
     
  7. sml238 macrumors regular

    sml238

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    #7
    yeah thats the version i was using. ff was using up to 140mb of real memory. google chrome only uses abou 55mb for me
     
  8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

    NewMacbookPlz

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    #8
    Did you NEED that 90MB of RAM? If not, it's irrelevant. I personally don't...>550MB free, so 'sall good.

    Also, I won't use Chrome as I'm not a fan of Google's EULA terms, allowing data gathering and whatnot like they do.
     
  9. sml238 macrumors regular

    sml238

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2010
    #9
    well i have 4gbs of ram. 2.8 extra right now. so i guess its not a problem. but it seems like my computer runs hotter with ff. idk why. maybe its just the flash stuff idk. but it seems now that i have google chrome my temps are lower.
     

Share This Page