Firefox and Chrome UI Lag and mid 2014 rMBPs...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rhyzome, Mar 16, 2015.

1. rhyzome macrumors regular

Does anyone else experience mild-moderate lag or at least suboptimal UI performance in Chrome or Firefox with their rMBPs?

My Mid 2014 rMBP (1TB, 16GB, dGPU) experiences mild lag resizing windows and scrolling in both browsers (though hte problem is much more pronounced in Chrome than Firefox).

This is in comparison to nearly perfect performance in Safari.

While Safari eventually can experience similar UI problems on my machine, it does not typically occur until it is under a load of dozens upon dozens (like, over 40) tabs, whereas these problems quickly arise in the other browsers with the stress of only 5-10 tabs.

Is this normal? Will it be fixed soon/ever?

Also, chrome seems to drain my battery more than the other browsers. Could this be a dGPU thing? Or is it just badly written software? (or both?)

2. mrtravel123 macrumors regular

I had to switch to Safari --- after 3+ years of using Chrome. For the past few months (more or less), Chrome has been TERRIBLE on my late 2013 rMBP. Prior to a few months ago.... PERFECT.

- scrolling a page = slow / lags / jumpy
    - clicking on anything in Chrome.... takes 2 - 5 seconds for response
    - YouTube videos: cursor over pause/play, takes 2 - 5 seconds for response
    - in general lots of lag, choppy behavior, etc.
    (FYI: no screen problems, such as distortions, lines, etc. That's all OK).

I've tried every idea I can think of - including every suggestion read online. I've also reinstalled Yosemite (fresh install), removed extensions, disabled flash, tried Canary, etc.

My whole Chrome experience is simply AWFUL. Like I said, I've switched to Safari - which is very fast. But, I can't stand how Safari manages bookmarks.

3. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

In Firefox try doing Window -> Zoom and get a load of that animation.

(I admit it's not that great in Safari either, but nowhere near as bad.)

4. rhyzome thread starter macrumors regular

I'm glad I'm not the only one having Chrome trouble mrtravel123!

I do feel like this is a recent thing. Chrome wasn't ideal before, but something happened. I started getting suspicious I'd been infected (I know fanboys, it's impossible or highly unlikely...)

I've seen pretty much every thing you mention in Chrome; I'm glad it's not just me! The youtube play button response thing can be particularly terrible.

dyt--I've noticed in the past few days after a firefox update that things are generally a little more smooth. I think there was a graphics card interaction issue that got resolved--when FF was open and I launched Aperture and iMovie the whole system would crash and I'd be forced to restart. Hasn't happened since the update.

But what you mention about window and zoom is still observable. The animation isn't a smooth as-you'd-expect-from-an-Apple-computer animation; you can see about 3-5 distinct positions/frames as it expands. The movement is jerky/choppy.