Firefox and iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jrocks, Aug 9, 2007.

1. jrocks macrumors member

ok so I just posted about iChat but now i have two more questions.

1. when I watch a dvd in iDVD the picture seems a little bit blurry or grainy. its not too bad but its enough to make me think it could be clearer. its a matte screen if thats any help to anyone. i guess my question is if this is normal or if it should really be crystal clear.

2. i downloaded firefox and now there are two icons on my desktop. one says firefox 2.0.0.6.dmg and the other just says firefox. how do i get rid of these?or do i have to keep them there? when i drag one of them to the trash it makes the trash an eject button and when i try to empty the trash with the other one in there it says it cant cause its in use...but its not. i have firefox in my dock are these just the places where they run from?

thanks to anyone that helps with anything! im new to mac and im slowly getting the hang out it

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1.) Dvd play in "DVD Player", iDVD is for creating DVDs. As to the quality issues, not sure. What computer do you have?

2.)The one called "Firefox 2.0.0.6.dmg" is the disk image that firefox is download in. The other Firefox icon is probably the mounted disk image. IT won't eject because you are running firefox from the disk image. What you need to do is go inside the icon which has the fox on it. It'll open a window where there will be a large icon called firefox. Click on the little lozenge on the very top right had corner so you can see your sidebar. Then drag the firefox icon (the big circular one) to where it says Applications and let go of it. Close the running Firefox and then you can eject the icon on the desktop and delete the .dmg. Now when you click on the firefox icon on the dock it might turn into a question mark. If it does simply drag it off the dock and open your applications folder and redrag firefox back onto the dock.

3. jrocks thread starter macrumors member

1. its a MBP 2.2 matte screen (samsung) week 31....i think, if i looked at the right thing....it does seem to have a slight yellow tint at the bottom but i dont know if its the "yellow tint" problem everyone has been having or if its just the way its supposed to be. its only noticeable when theres a white or gray screen. i dont know, its barely noticeable so i could just be imagining it. -oh and dvd player is what i meant, not idvd thanks

2. thank you! that was exactly what i needed done and your directions were perfect! thank!!!!!!

-does anyone know if sound is supposed to come out of both speakers when video chatting in ichat. i used ichat for the first time and i could only hear the persons voice out of the right speaker. it was hard to hear even with sound all the way up

4. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

1. A DVD is not actually as high of resolution as your screen. DVD res is 720x480, your MacBookPro screen is 1440x900.

Also DVDs use high compression.

You will not have noticed this as easily on your TV because normal TVs have a lower resolution than 720x480

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

DVDs look fine on my 1680x1050 iMac, sure if you get close an study it you may notice these things but i doubt the OP is doing that. If you can try different DVDs or go into an apple store with you MBP and play a DVD on yours then play the same dvd on one on the shop floor to see if they are different. If so they get a genius to look at it.