Firefox and Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Bob Coxner, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

First of all, I'm a total noob to OS X, after many, many, many years with Windows. Yesterday, I got a new MBA and I'm trying to solve a problem.

Using Safari, I downloaded Firefox for Mac and installed it. It works fine. My problem is that it doesn't show up in my Applications folder or Launchpad and I can't seem to move it there.

The Firefox icon was on the right hand side of my dock. A google search said to click and drag it on to the Launchpad icon in order to move it to Applications. I tried that. The Firefox icon is now on the left side, next to the Launchpad icon, but it still doesn't show in the Applications folder or on Launchpad. I also tried clicking and dragging the Firefox icon from the dock to Launchpad (after opening Launchpad) but that didn't work.

Oddly, Firefox is listed under Devices (along with iDisk and Remote Disk) when I open the Applications folder. It gives me the option to "eject" the Firefox disk but says it's in use when I try that.

Something is obviously wrong. Did I do something wrong when I installed it? I downloaded and installed Chrome. It appears just fine in Applications and Launchpad. I thought I followed the same steps with Firefox, but maybe not.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sounds like you are still running FF from the install package. Does it look anything like this?

[​IMG]

If so, you need to open it up and then move the FF application to you applications folder.

3. Bob Coxner thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it didn't look like that but I did figure out what was needed. I had to click and drag the Firefox icon that appeared during the installation process, not the dock icon. Now Firefox shows in both Applications and Launchpad.

However, it still shows Firefox listed under Devices in Applications. I also just installed Carbon Copy Cloner and the same thing happened. It's also listed under Devices.

It seems I've solved 50% of the matter but the Devices bit can't be correct.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Now all you have to do is Eject those devices.

5. Bob Coxner thread starter macrumors 6502a

That worked. Thanks!

6. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

The installation progress of OS X is pretty straightforward.
    Just think the .dmg file as a CD. If you double-click it, it's like you inserted the CD in your computer. Then move the files to any other place; most likely Appications*, and eject the disk again.

* /Applications is a place you can compare to "C:\Program Files\". It's easier to have everything at the same place, and for some apps it's necessary to place them there, but most apps don't care and you can run them from the Desktop or any other place if you really wanted.