Firefox and Netscape keep crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by epiphany, Aug 10, 2007.

1. epiphany macrumors regular

Hiya,
    I've had this problem for a while, and haven't found the solution:
    My Ti Powerbook (550Mhz G4) on OS X v10.3.9 runs Safari 1.3.2 and IE 5.2 fairly fine. There are some unidentified plug-ins I don't have in Safari which prevent me from seeing an occassional video, or printing my Blockbuster TA coupons.

Netscape refuses to start up unless I throw away the Mozilla folder in the Library (which I must repeat each time I want to use Netscape, and which kills any bookmarks). Firefox 2.0.0.1 will start up, but then give me a "firefox-bin has unexpectedly quit" and the spinning beach ball.:confused:

Anyone know how I can get either/both to become stable?

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just as something to try for Firefox you can try opening it in safe mode, which you can do by going to Terminal and typing,

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox -safe-mode

I'm guessing you've tried reinstalling these apps? Could also try deleting your Firefox profile.

3. epiphany thread starter macrumors regular

I've done the re-install thing a number of times, to no avail.
    Just tried Safe-Mode in Firefox. It gave me the option of starting from scratch (going to default config), so I took it. It loaded the google start page, I went to log into my movie site, and it crashed again.

Looking at the error logs, for the past hour, I seem to get this consistently:
    *** malloc_zone_malloc[2776]: argument too large: 4294967284

Any clues as to what this is?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well malloc is a memory allocation thing. Not sure if that number at the end is measured in Bytes Kilobytes or what, but could be quite large. I googled it a little, but didn't find anything overly helpful. You may want to run Activity Monitor while you run Firefox to see how much memory it is trying to use. Does it perhaps use up all of your memory? Another idea to try out is to clear the Firefox cache, located in ~/Library/Caches/Firefox/...