Firefox and Safari page loading slow on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by squint0241, Sep 8, 2009.

1. squint0241 macrumors member

Gents, was wondering if anyone else is seeing this since upgrading to Snow Leopard (SL). I have noticed a painfully slow access to sites when using Firefox and Safari. Pages used to load almost instantaneous with Leopard. Now when using either Firefox or Safari on SL, It's taking an average of 8-10 seconds to load a page in my web browser. It's crazy! Feels like I'm on dialup... I have the fastest internet service you can get (Roadrunner Turbo Plus), but for some unknown reason my internet page access is painfully slow. Anyone else seeing this? I'm really thinking of using Time Machine to set my Mac back to Leopard, but I really don't want too. I figured I'd wait a few days to see if this problem surfaces, and perhaps a solution can be found. Any help appreciated...:(

2. DirkBreeuwer macrumors member

Same here, but there seem to be many fixes for different people.

What I just did is:

Firefox => Preferences => Network => Configure how... => Auto Detect...

then, Firefox => View => Character Encoding => Unicode UTF 8

Other people, whom Safari was also slow reported this to work:

I have been having the same slow connection issue in snow leopard. I finally did the following:

0. Close all apps using an internet connection
    1. open system preferences
    2. click on security
    3. click on firewall tab
    4. you may have to click on lock at bottom left of window to unlock preferences
    5. click advanced
    6. Uncheck "automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections"
    7. In large white box COULD be several program permissions
    8. select each one and press the "-" icon under the box to remove ALL of them
    9. After ALL are removed, OK out of the preferences
    10. Relaunch safari. Your connection speed should be back to normal now

(THanks to apple.1 and many others)

Hope it helps,

DB

3. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

I had a similar issue with both Firefox and Safari Browsers... Not necessarily starting the program, but typing in a URL it would hang or take forever to load something. I too have recently updated to Snow, but I seem to recall an intermittent load time problem before the upgrade. I think the only reason I'm noticing is because I just kicked up my AT&T Uverse up to 18meg download and expected to see some difference. All within a day of upgrading to Snow so I didn't know where the problem truly was - Network or Browser.

Thanks to the above suggestions, my Safari flies faster than I have ever seen it. My Firefox, however, seems to have the same issues as before. I'm sure if I poke around these forums enough I'll find a fix - but just wanted to weigh in that it didn't solve my Firefox loading issue. My PS3 download speeds increased when I bumped my Uverse port speed up so I was pretty sure it wasn't a network issue. I am truly thankful that the Safari Tweaks worked..

Regards

4. lizzyshoe macrumors newbie

None of these solutions work for me

I've tried all of the suggested solutions (resetting preference files, changing firewall settings, changing firefox network settings, resetting the router) and none of them have worked so far. What's most frustrating is that it's a *slow* connection, not a lack thereof. This is just painful:

[​IMG] (wirele)s)

[​IMG] (wired_

especially when the PCs on the network are pulling down 5mbps.

So, help?

5. babzter macrumors newbie

At last - speed!

Thank you, Dirk, for posting this fix. It worked beautifully, and the speed difference is outrageous! :D

6. manmeet macrumors member

Simple

First of all, firefox is very slow software and it sucks.
    Download safari 4.0.3 and follow other replies and you are done with it.

Attached Files:

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Interesting. I will try as well.

Instead of saying that a software sucks, you should train a bit your reading skills. The OP said that he has the same problem with Safari.

Tex

8. ecualegacy macrumors regular

I've been having the same dual browser issue. I see above that this solution fixed Safari, but not Firefox, so it makes me wonder what is the deal with ol Mozilla's own.