Firefox and smooth scrolling.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stu L Tissimus, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Stu L Tissimus macrumors newbie

I sincerely have no idea how to describe this, but... FF users, is it just me or does smooth scrolling feel laggy? Especially when compared to Safari, which has this really nice preciseness to it when you're scrolling with the Macbook Pro trackpad. Does anybody know how to reduce the lag? Or if it's just an inherent Firefox flaw, is it fixed in the Firefox 3 alphas?

2. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

This post is a bit old, but I'll reply anyway.

The so-called smooth scrolling of Firefox isn't as smooth as Safari, because Firefox thinks of scrolling in steps. That's because most non-Mac mice have that sort of mouse wheel. (You know, they click with every "step".) "Smooth scrolling" in Firefox just means taking 1/3 second for each step.

Check out this bug. It might be changed at some point. Until then, disabling smooth scroll makes it fast...

3. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Yeah I've noticed this too..in Safari with trackpad scrolling it feels like you're actually moving the page with your fingers...but in Firefox it's more like you're moving your fingers along the trackpad and 2 sec. later it decides to scroll.

4. Ilomoga macrumors member

Yeah ... but the real horror is using the trackbar to scroll in Windows :(

5. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Smooth scrolling in anything on my mac feels sluggish, especially Finder. Regular scrolling does too, but not as bad.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, get a mice, I do find mice to be more effective in most situations.

7. Ilomoga macrumors member

Who said I'm not using a mouse? I just complained about the trackbar behaviour in windows not that that's a reason I can't use it ;)

Btw - it's a notebook and sometimes it just seems unnecessary to put out the mouse, especially with this great touchpad the MacBook has (with its scrolling).

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, every piece of drivers of your mac is offered by apple.

9. thestaton macrumors 6502

I thought I was the only one who found it odd. For now I have it disabled it just feels to weird.

10. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

It's not you. Smooth scrolling is laggyin FF. I just turned it off. It doesn't bother me.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

12. Stu L Tissimus thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, people actually responded! And the nightly has pixel scrolling! :D

13. pushka macrumors newbie

pushka

minefield is the best ^__^

thank you for the tip ~ good bye safari~~~~

---

also - if you get minefield, you cant install most add ons because they are too old for MF, but you can get an add on to force install them, and they mostly work 100% ~

http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/nightly

14. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

How to delete this please?! It's telling me an unexpected error has a occurred!

I'm thinking that this was a link to a site but it has installed something and will not allow me to delete it!

15. teszeract macrumors newbie

Firefox Scrolling fixed for me

All I did was uninstall/disable All in one Sidebar - AIOS.