Firefox and smooth scrolling.

Stu L Tissimus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2007
I sincerely have no idea how to describe this, but... FF users, is it just me or does smooth scrolling feel laggy? Especially when compared to Safari, which has this really nice preciseness to it when you're scrolling with the Macbook Pro trackpad. Does anybody know how to reduce the lag? Or if it's just an inherent Firefox flaw, is it fixed in the Firefox 3 alphas?

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
This post is a bit old, but I'll reply anyway.

The so-called smooth scrolling of Firefox isn't as smooth as Safari, because Firefox thinks of scrolling in steps. That's because most non-Mac mice have that sort of mouse wheel. (You know, they click with every "step".) "Smooth scrolling" in Firefox just means taking 1/3 second for each step.

Check out this bug. It might be changed at some point. Until then, disabling smooth scroll makes it fast...

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Yeah I've noticed this too..in Safari with trackpad scrolling it feels like you're actually moving the page with your fingers...but in Firefox it's more like you're moving your fingers along the trackpad and 2 sec. later it decides to scroll.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Smooth scrolling in anything on my mac feels sluggish, especially Finder. Regular scrolling does too, but not as bad.

Ilomoga

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Who said I'm not using a mouse? I just complained about the trackbar behaviour in windows not that that's a reason I can't use it ;)

Btw - it's a notebook and sometimes it just seems unnecessary to put out the mouse, especially with this great touchpad the MacBook has (with its scrolling).

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Who said I'm not using a mouse? I just complained about the trackbar behaviour in windows not that that's a reason I can't use it ;)

Btw - it's a notebook and sometimes it just seems unnecessary to put out the mouse, especially with this great touchpad the MacBook has (with its scrolling).
well, every piece of drivers of your mac is offered by apple.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
I sincerely have no idea how to describe this, but... FF users, is it just me or does smooth scrolling feel laggy? Especially when compared to Safari, which has this really nice preciseness to it when you're scrolling with the Macbook Pro trackpad. Does anybody know how to reduce the lag? Or if it's just an inherent Firefox flaw, is it fixed in the Firefox 3 alphas?
I thought I was the only one who found it odd. For now I have it disabled it just feels to weird.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Recent nightly seems has smooth scroll (pixel scrolling) enabled, try out see if you like it.
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

How to delete this please?! It's telling me an unexpected error has a occurred!

Recent nightly seems has smooth scroll (pixel scrolling) enabled, try out see if you like it.
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/
I'm thinking that this was a link to a site but it has installed something and will not allow me to delete it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.