Firefox app on desktop, how to get rid of it

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rhett7660, Feb 22, 2008.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hello..

I am new to the Mac OS so I am still trying to figure it out. I just installed FF. Now there the app sitting on my desktop. I have it also in the applications folder and on the dock but how do I get it off the desktop? I am sure this is easy, I just don't know how. I don't want to drag it to the trash can for fear I might erase it/corrupt it, same feeling if I hit the delete key.

Thanks

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you have it in your Apps folder already you can just trash the copy on the desktop, no problem.

Probably also best to remove the icon you have in the dock (as it might be referring to the one on the desktop that you're about to trash). Then re-add the dock icon from the Firefox app in your Apps folder.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Drag it to your /Applications folder. If it's already in your Applications folder, then trash it - you don't need two copies.

5. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ok.. when I drag it to the trash can it says it can't eject it....... When I click on it to highlight it, then hit the delete button nothing happens.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OK, so you don't have the app on your desktop. You have the mounted DMG (disk image) you downloaded with the application inside it.

if you can't eject it it's because what ever is inside it is in use, in this case you must be running Firefox from it right now.

So, close Firefox, make sure you have copied the Firefox app from the disk image to /Applications. Now you should be able to eject the disk image and run Firefox from your copy in /Applications.

7. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

edesignuk

Thank you, as soon as I am back at my office I will try that and post back.

Thanks again~!

8. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

edesignuk

Thank you very much, that did the trick!!!

9. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Don't worry about trashing free apps. You can always easily get them back. Isn't that beautiful?

10. methodmano macrumors member

Keep in mind that running an app directly from the dmg will give you slower performance and sometimes unexpected behavior.

11. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Still new to this. Will the application folder let put the .dmg file in there? I need to check when I get home which file is in the application folder.

12. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yes that's where you put the File.

13. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

check in your applications folder for firefox. If its there then drag the .dmg disk image to the trash. Ad you do watch the trash can turn into an eject image. Your not trashing it your ejecting the disk image as you no longer need it. If there is no firefox in your apps I would still suggest ejecting the disk. Go back to the firefox download page and start again. When the disk image downloads drag the firefix icon into your apps folder. Then double click(in the apps folder) firefox will install. Then eject the .dmg file.

14. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thank you very much for your help. This is my first Mac experience. I did it correctly. That was close..lol....

On the advice of some other threads, I have ordered the Missing book for mac OS X (or something very similiar to that name, it has been mentioned alot on the boards). Waiting for amazon to deliver it.

Thanks again for your help. I can't tell you how happy I have been with my Mac Pro.

R~