Firefox being blocked?

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I just downloaded Firefox 1.0 on my computer here at work to play around with and see if I like it any better than Safari. However, I cannot get any pages to load. I get the error message, "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.whateversiteiwanttogoto.com"

I do know that we have some extensive filters on the websites we can access and the ports we can use here at work. My question is this: does Firefox use a different port to communicate than Safari (which works just fine)? Or could there be some other reason Firefox isn't working?

I don't know a whole bunch about ports and how my company blocks certain sites. I just know that it's possible and they do. :) All that "configuration" stuff is over my head.

Thanks for your help.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
You probably access the web via a proxy, you will need to enter the proxy info in to firefox to get on the web. Speak to your helpdesk and ask.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
edesignuk said:
You probably access the web via a proxy, you will need to enter the proxy info in to firefox to get on the web. Speak to your helpdesk and ask.
would i be able to access that information locally on my machine, using any of the other browsers, by any chance?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
tobefirst said:
would i be able to access that information locally on my machine, using any of the other browsers, by any chance?
You probably can, but I'm not at home (at my mac) to look for you. Maybe someone else can help?

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
edesignuk said:
i got them from my network connections in the system preferences, and you were exactly right. thank you very much.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
tobefirst said:
If your firm requires you to use its proxy server, then every browser is in the same boat. You will have to enter the proxy servers' URLs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.