FireFox beta question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techguy40, Mar 18, 2008.

1. techguy40 macrumors regular

If you have firefox 2.0, should I uninstall firefox 2.0 first before installing firefox beta 4?

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

It's not really necessary, you can just copy it over your previous version. You might want to make a new profile however, just to make sure that FF3 doesn't mess yours up if you feel like changing back.

3. techguy40 thread starter macrumors regular

4. reubs macrumors 68000

I have been running FF3 Beta 4 off of the DMG that I downloaded to the desktop. It may not be the best way, but it's worked for me so far.

5. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

no need to uninstall FF2

The best thing to do is create another profile
    Go into terminal and type:

cd Applications/FF3.app/Contents/MacOS

then:
    ./firefox -profilemanager

Create a new profile (e.g. FF3) then untick 'don't ask as startup' and you can keep both FF2 and FF3 running at the same time, and FF3 won't mess up the profile of FF2 :D

The first command you put into terminal is just to get you to the right place within the Firefox bundle. You might not necessarily have named your FF3 app FF3

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've been running FF2, FF3b4, and FF3 nightly builds on the same system using the same profile for quite some time, no problems at all. Just rename your FF3b4 download to Firefox3b4 and drop it in your apps folder so as not to overwrite FF2.