Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I've been using Safari 5 since it came out but decided I give the new FireFox Beta 4 a look see.

Here's what I got after the install....

I looked at the toolbar customization but I don't see how to correct this.

Anyone have an idea?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-08 at 5.59.00 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-07-08 at 5.59.00 PM.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 119

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
It's a beta...what do you expect? Shouldn't be used as your everyday web browser.

I realize it's a beta. So whether I'm using this as my primary browser or not...that has nothing to do with the fact I have some kind of strange issue going on and I'm asking others if they have any suggestions on fixing it.

Not trying to jump on you...but...what's the point of your reply? Stating the obvious...running your post count up?

More than likely there are many Firefox experts out there that might know what the issue is.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I realize it's a beta. So whether I'm using this as my primary browser or not...that has nothing to do with the fact I have some kind of strange issue going on and I'm asking others if they have any suggestions on fixing it.

Not trying to jump on you...but...what's the point of your reply? Stating the obvious...running your post count up?

More than likely there are many Firefox experts out there that might know what the issue is.

No.

I'm saying that Firefox 4 is still a beta - meaning that there will be issues and some, you can fix.

I'm also stating that Firefox 4 should not be used as your primary web browser because it is only in beta.

But thanks for guessing:)

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
No.

I'm saying that Firefox 4 is still a beta - meaning that there will be issues and some, you can fix.

I'm also stating that Firefox 4 should not be used as your primary web browser because it is only in beta.

But thanks for guessing:)

I try. No harm no foul! Just looking to fix.

I'll try disabling the theme I'm using...as poster mentioned above.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
uninstall it, and reinstall...may I ask why you are using beta though?

I've used many a beta over the years. Most I have never had a problem with...some I have had minor little bugs here and there.

I primarily do so for the latest features. I know there can be bugs...these are betas...

But mostly for the new and better features.

UpDownAeroplane

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
honestly, this is one of the worst beta releases i have ever seen. most betas have minor bugs and glitches, but this beta is garbage. it is basically unusable as a browser. it constantly crashes and virtually no plugins work with it.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
honestly, this is one of the worst beta releases i have ever seen. most betas have minor bugs and glitches, but this beta is garbage. it is basically unusable as a browser. it constantly crashes and virtually no plugins work with it.

I'd have to agree. I've been using beta versions of FireFox for several years now...and with each new beta some themes and add-ons don't work but with this release!

I have about 20 themes and only two are compatible. And none of my add-ons are compatible. Don't ever remember such "incompatibility" with previous betas.

I won't use FireFox without the "All-In-One Sidebar"....

But not a problem...I go back to the last official release or Safari.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden

I agree. I uninstalled it after a week. It is fast, but nothing worked and I had all kinds of issues with various websites. Public betas in the past have been more stable. This one isn't there yet.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Firefox 4 does not support flash.
Firefox 4 supports it just fine. The fact it's a beta means a lot of plugins and extensions will not support it. When the final is released a lot of extensions will get updated so they work in Firefox 4. However, not every extension developer supports his or her extension so some extension will cease to work (and exist in the end). You can't blame Firefox for that though.

Try disabling the out of process plugin support in about:config. Simply search for dom.ipc.plugins and set all of those from true to false. This will do magic for Flash and crashing Firefoxes.

For those who experience problems: use the feedback button and/or submit a bug so the developers will be informed about the bug you encountered. That's the only way to have them fix the bugs in time so we users end up with a stable and fast Firefox 4.0. If themes/extensions don't work bug the person who creates the theme/extension, Mozilla can't help you with that.

One piece of advise for the OP: if you want stuff to work properly stop using things like beta versions! By using a beta version you are accepting and agreeing (it often is a part of the license agreement) to the fact that stuff might not work properly and you may loose data. Mozilla clearly warns users about this. Ignoring warnings like those is your own mistake, not theirs or anyone else's.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
I used to use firefox because i thought it was the safest browser, but in fact i found out that this is all just a lie. While being better than Microsoft Internet Explorer which is vulnerable to anything (which will probably change seeing how everything Microsoft actually getting better) It still isn't the safest browser. Opera is the safest as like no one uses it. I personally dislike Firefox, I use safari on all my Computers, and Opera too.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Firefox 4 does not support flash.

For that reason, Firefox is now my primary web browser*.

Just kidding, but I have switched from Firefox 3 to 4. It's got some nice improvements, but there are still a lot of issues. I've also noticed many themes are not compatible (might explain the OP's issue).

*Safari is my primary web browser, and I am aware that Firefox supports flash.

NSWMaps

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Ask I recall, this later beta is changing a small but important set of APIs that manage update and threading processes. Everything will break, but apparently the fixes only take half an hour to implement.

Edit: to clarify; they really want to implement add-on update with no restart

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
For that reason, Firefox is now my primary web browser*.

Just kidding, but I have switched from Firefox 3 to 4. It's got some nice improvements, but there are still a lot of issues. I've also noticed many themes are not compatible (might explain the OP's issue).

*Safari is my primary web browser, and I am aware that Firefox supports flash.

If I can't watch a youtube vid, it's not for me.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I'd have to agree. I've been using beta versions of FireFox for several years now...and with each new beta some themes and add-ons don't work but with this release!

I have about 20 themes and only two are compatible. And none of my add-ons are compatible. Don't ever remember such "incompatibility" with previous betas.

There has always been the incompatibility issue. In many cases it's as simple as the addon not telling the browser that it supports the latest version. Almost all my addons work just fine in 4.0b1, just had to install the addon compatibility reporter which disables addon compatibility checking.

Many developers won't update their addons until the final 4.0 release.

Themes will break because 4.0 has a new default theme so other themes must be updated to work with the new features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.