Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
To solve the problem is a bit of a chore, let me explain, since the problem only occurs in your User account the problem file is in your home folder.
Settings are almost all in your Library folder and the most likely folder is the Preferences (settings) folder inside the library folder.

Now to find to conflict is a bit of a process.

Since you can not change things inside your Library folder when you are logged in you need to do this from another User, but the best way is the root user, yours is most likely not active yet so first you have to activate Root.

How to enable the root User:
Open /Applications/Utilities/Directory Utility
Next click the padlock
Enter password
Now under the Edit in the Menu Bar click enable root User.
It will ask for a new password to be set(twice)

Logout
You now get to the login screen and see other, click on that and enter root as name and the password you entered earlier.

Open a browser and download Show & Hide, this is a small application which makes your invisible files visible, download here.
http://www.longfingers.com/download/Show&Hide.zip

Unzip, click it and make your files visible.

Now, navigate to Your normal User Accounts home folder and locate the /Library/Preferences folder, rename it to Preferences Old(Or whatever you want.)

Logout, and login to your normal User Account, everything (settings) are now reset but don't worry they are in Preferences Old.
There is a new Preferences folder now with new setting.

Open Firefox, is it working now??????
If so, the problem file is in the Preferences folder.
In this case logout and login into root again, now drag half(50%) of your files from Preferences Old to preferences.
Logout of root and login to normal User account.
Open firefox and try again.

Problem still gone, the 50% files are Ok and the problem is in the other 50% in the Preferences Old folder.
Problem is there, the problem is now back to the preferences folder.

So, in essence you have to each time half the files and eventually you'll find the one file which is the culprit.
It is a bit of a job though.

If the problem didn't go away by renaming the preferences folder to Preferences Old the problem is in another folder, the next one would be Application support.

You can revert back to the old situation by renaming the old folder back.
For security I would make a copy of the folder you work on and place it in a safe place like a USB stick or just on the desktop.

Now, question, do you understand the procedure, if not I can make a few screen shots.

Screen shots would be great! So last night the website worked under my other account and now today it's doing the same thing as my regular account.... ??

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Screen shots would be great! So last night the website worked under my other account and now today it's doing the same thing as my regular account.... ??

If this is the case the above procedure won't help, before you said it did work there and now it doesn't, this means it's system wide.

Now, I will read the former pages because I forgot if I told you about deleting a certain folder, update this post in a few minutes.

Update: No I didn't.

There is a folder called SystemConfiguration in /Library/Preferences, now drag this folder to the desktop, if it copies it move the original to the trash, restart and try again, all network settings are reset, might help.
If this didn't work you could copy the folder back if you like.

kaitcarl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
If this is the case the above procedure won't help, before you said it did work there and now it doesn't, this means it's system wide.

Now, I will read the former pages because I forgot if I told you about deleting a certain folder, update this post in a few minutes.

Update: No I didn't.

There is a folder called SystemConfiguration in /Library/Preferences, now drag this folder to the desktop, if it copies it move the original to the trash, restart and try again, all network settings are reset, might help.
If this didn't work you could copy the folder back if you like.

It worked the first time I went to the page! And then the second time, back to normal :(

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It worked the first time I went to the page! And then the second time, back to normal :(

Now this says something:

You created a new User before, it worked there for the first time as well and then the second time not.
So, my guess now is there is something going on with your network settings.
When they are clean it works, but as soon as you tried one time it stops working, this can be a bug in the OS, hard to say at the moment.

You might look inside the (Wireless) Network settings, for instance, is IPv6 enabled, if so try disabling it.
Or, if it is not enabled, enable IPv6.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
The anti-virus remove didn't help. I did observed that when using a proxies, the web page would come up.

Are you a new poster with the same problem as kaitcarl?

Please open Terminal (in Utilities) and paste in

Code:
traceroute -m 15 134.39.81.243

Please post the output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.