Firefox corrupted on iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Zelnaga, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Hi guys, I got my iMac last week and I love it, but just now I was using firefox and suddenly it crashed. Managed to forcequit the program and reported the problem to apple.

I switched off the machine but when I turned it back on and went on firefox, the HDD would keep making writing noises constantly and firefox would freeze and ill have to force quit again. Is there anyway to resolve this? (uninstalling things I just move firefox application to trash?).

I dont want to use Safari or Chrome either (though Im using Chrome now to post this).

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

The easiest thing to do would be to uninstall Firefox which in this instance just involves dragging the application from your applications folder to the trash and reinstalling. That should sort it.

3. Statelymwhite macrumors regular

I used Safari on my iMac for a few days and then DL'd Firefox... but those first few days with Safari converted me. I'm going to delete Firefox. GASP, Safari seems more intuitive and friendly to me. (haven't tried Chrome yet)

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Can you post the crash log and do any errors related to Firefox pop up in Console?

5. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

As much as Id love to use Safari, it seems extremely slower to load pages than Firefox (I wanted to make do without FF since moving away from windows aswell) but I love Firefox.

Chrome the only thing that bugs me is that you cant have tabs below the address bar. (Nice backup though).

Just uninstalled and reinstalled it. Still getting the same problems. Anything else I can try?

6. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

It seemed to remember my previous favs when I reinstalled it so there must be some information still out there, that hasnt been deleted.

7. basher, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

basher macrumors 6502

basher

Given the hard drive noises you described in your original post it would probably be a good idea to verify your disk via Disk Utility.

8. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

Disk seems to be okay also did the permission thing for safe measure and thats okay.

9. basher macrumors 6502

basher

I found a reference at the following link that states that FireFox addons can sometimes cause crashes/freezing.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes

Are you current on all your iMac updates? There was a firmware update last week.

10. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

I have no addos, also i have updated the new updated today. It came up with a messahe something about scripts. But thinking they were like windows message, I cancelled it and didnt think it would freeze. So i didnt catch the entire message.

11. Brown Trout, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

Brown Trout macrumors member

Firefox craps out, locks up and stalls when loading all the time on my HP notebook with W7 and plenty of memory. I haven't bothered to load it on my 1-wk old iMac yet, and based on your post, may not for a while.

Firefox 4.0 was such a PITA on the HP W7 I uninstalled it and went back to the previous version.

12. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi Zelnaga,
    go to:
    Hard Drive/Users/(your Admin name)/Library/Application Support/Firefox
    Throw the 'Firefox' folder in Trash (this is where all your settings are stored).
    Also in that 'Library' go to 'Preferences' and find "org.mozilla.firefox.plist" = get rid of.
    Remember after this, you'll have to set-up your Firefox from scratch...

13. Zelnaga thread starter macrumors regular

That seem to have worked. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!