Firefox Crash! **** this!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by darthpotato94, Jul 1, 2012.

1. darthpotato94 macrumors newbie

I switched to Firefox because Chrome was crashing all the time. I installed flash and started using firefox and it just crashed again while watching a video. I don't believe Chrome has any problems besides the flash that is built in the browser. Flash is the culprit. Who is to blame now? Apple or Adobe?

2. Barna Biro, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Blame the incompetent programmers... A crapload of Flash applications are just simply badly written and throw a ton of runtime exceptions ( especially video players - YouTube, Vimeo, etc. you name it... all crap cause they know nothing about QA ). Flash as a technology is not bad, just that many people misuse it and many simply have no idea how to properly use it ( starting from juniors to senior software engineers ).

Beside the programmers, it's also somewhat FireFox's / Chrome's fault for not being able to handle the exception without crashing almost every time ( such exceptions are nothing new or unusual - badly written code WILL FAIL, no matter the technology / programming language used and if not handled, it will surely start crashing stuff )... Safari for example handles it a lot better: you can 99% of the time click the Dismiss All button ( this in case you are using the Debug version of the Flash Player ) without it resulting into a browser freeze / crash... if you are using the non-debug version Flash Player, then you'll almost never notice something crashed ( and believe me, a ton of websites / players / banners / etc. throw a ton of runtime exceptions due to the horrible job done by many programmers ).

I've stopped using FireFox quite a few years ago when they started monkeying Chrome and other browsers instead of keeping it simple and fast... Chrome is decent, but of course, nothing is perfect and it also crashes annoyingly many times.

3. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I'm not trolling or anything, but I've read a lot about this issue.

Why don't people use Safari?

I've never had a problem with it

5. macneubie macrumors regular

I've been using Safari since my 2012 MBA arrived last week, not a sign of crash or lockups, everything buttery smooth.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Safari is my choice on my Mini - but my school stuff doesn't play nice, so I run school in Firefox. Which manages to "mostly" work - and what doesn't I run on XP in Fusion. I am doing a happy dance because my quarter starts today and it appears i don't have any live weekly sessions this time around - which means less time in XP!!!

Anyway, I guess people just hate on Safari.

7. backwardsrain macrumors newbie

I can't get Safari to be compatible with youtube. Firefox has no problem with it though. Why won't safari play youtube, anyway?

8. jgo78 macrumors 6502

update your flash for safari, it works.

9. me22 macrumors newbie

You sure sound like you know what you're talking about, except you're talking about a Java feature as if it's some kind of Flash error.

The simple fact though, is that an OS should not be taken down by a browser, a browser should not be taken down by a plugin, and a plugin should not be taken down by sloppy coding.

These days, all of those scenarios should be expected and handled appropriately both for user experience and security purposes.

10. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I've used Firefox on both my old 2010 Air, and since last week on my brand new 2012 Air. Never had a single crash, ever (and yes I have Flash installed too).

11. Barna Biro, Jul 2, 2012

Barna Biro

Did I say anything about taking down the OS? Please go and read my reply again... If it were to take down the OS, that would be catastrophic BUT that issue would surely be fixed ASAP. Not sure why you brought up the OS thingie though... Also, why are you adding Java into the mix? Flash Player doesn't fail because of Java ( as for how the plug-in itself is sandboxed or handled differs from browser to browser )... it fails mainly because of badly written ActionScript 2.0 / 3.0 ( which is of course later on transformed into ABC ) and then because of the inability of certain browsers to not crash miserably due to the resulting runtime exceptions. Flash Player also does not require Java to be installed in order to run either: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/tech-specs.html

Again, not sure where you were heading to with your reply...
    You are either misinformed or I just failed to understand your not so clear message.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

My wife uses Firefox on a 2010 13" MBP with flash and has no problem with videos running latest release of firefox and 10.7.4.

13. me22 macrumors newbie

Maybe not, but this whole thing started with Chrome causing OS kernel panics.

My point was that with a kernel panic, everyone involved needs to fix something, but most important would be the OS vendor. If it's a browser crash, that responsibility goes to the browser vendor. Plugin crash, plugin vendor.

If some game or banner ad just has a bug, you can certainly blame the Flash developer for problems with his product, but you can't blame him for crashes further down the chain.

The host for his software should expect bugs and be prepared for them.

14. Barna Biro, Jul 2, 2012

Barna Biro

Sorry, but yet again I fail to see the link and anyone talking about Kernel panics beside you... Maybe you're posting in the wrong topic, but the OP stated nothing about any Kernel panics. He simply stated that Chrome ( aka "the browser" ) was crashing while he was watching some videos. Not one word about Kernel panics or OS crashes anywhere...

EDIT: As I have stated myself in my first reply: "Beside the programmers, it's also somewhat FireFox's / Chrome's fault for not being able to handle the exception without crashing almost every time" Of course Flash is not the only one to blame here, but again, no one was talking about any Kernel panics... Just the browser crashing is a totally different thing.

15. mikeytrend macrumors member

I've also read articles that being part of YouTube's HTML5 beta can cause issues for Mac users. I think everyone is enrolled by default.

Also, is Firefox crashing? Or is it taking down the whole OS with it in the form of a Kernel Panic? Google believed the issues to be on Apple's side while trying to take advantage of GPU features like hardware acceleration.

If it's crashing, blame Mozilla, if your Mac is having a panic, blame Apple.

16. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

The funny thing is that the whole advantage of Chrome having Flash natively was supposed to be its sandboxed state and frequent updates.

Flash on Safari has no issues.

17. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Even IE is better than Safari these days. Safari sucks in any parameter it has comparing to Firefox or Chrome.