Firefox Disc Drive on Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MurphysLaw904, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MurphysLaw904 macrumors newbie

Hi. I just switched to a Mac a few hours ago after using a PC for years, so I apologize in advance for by complete ignorance on here.

So now, the issue: I downloaded Firefox for Mac, and it works fine. The only thing is I have a disc drive of it on my desktop, as well as an icon on the bar. I have mounted the drive and dropped the icon into the applications folder, exited Firefox completely and was successful at "ejecting" the drive so it left my desktop. The thing is, when I went back and opened Firefox, that drive thing came back and it asked me if I wanted to run the application or something like that. Is there any way I can get Firefox to open normally and run without that driver thing on the desktop.

Again, I apologize for sounding completely lost, but I absolutely am, and I definitely appreciate help with this issue. Thank you.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A .dmg file is a disk image, essentially it's like a CD in a file. What you need to do is copy the actual Firefox application file out of the image and onto your hard drive (such as into the Applications folder) so that you can run the app without mounting the image.

3. MurphysLaw904 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nermal, thanks so much for your response.

Would you be able to tell me how I might be able to copy the file like you said?

Thank you again!

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

You open the .dimg to get the drive, then drag the firefox icon into your applications folder.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You click and hold the Firefox icon and drag it in to that folder shortcut—as illustrated:
    [​IMG]