Firefox - downloads not going where they should

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikefly, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mikefly macrumors regular

Hey, just reinstalled my OS, and all apps --- have set preferences in Firefox for downloads to go their own folder, not the desktop but for whatever reason, files are still going to the desktop.

Anyone have the vaguest idea why this is happening? More importantly, any idea how to fix it?

Mike

sadly, i am the first to reply...

it seems like downloads that are set to open (dmg, zip etc), go to the desktop, whereas files just being saved, go to the download folder.

wierd.

Mike

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is normal Firefox behavior. I never use the open feature of Firefox myself, so I haven't seen this... but I feel your pain. It's annoying.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I dont use firefox that often, just tried what you said, its one of those features that have bugs in it still.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

This could get interesting as I am using FF 3.01 so just went off to try what you mentioned and downloaded 3 .dmg files, but of course they downloaded to the specific folder I had designated in the prefs as they should wouldn't you know! :confused: Haven't found a zip file to DL, but will check out the behavior when I do.

I just remembered that I am using an addon called Download Statusbar that I started using with FF 2 (and I love it) so I am now wondering if that could, in conjuction with FF 3, be affecting the DL behavior. While it does not redirect DLs itself I still wonder.

5. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies...

the trick is that the dmg files were set to open.. My guess is that if they were just "save as" .. they would go where they're supposed to.

The only download related add-on I'm using is pdf download.

Mike

6. mikefly thread starter macrumors regular

just a quick note.. although i have figured out exactly which files go there.... it's bloody annoying - it wasn't doing this before the reinstall. blah.

Mike