firefox flash issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cobracommander9, Jul 30, 2010.

1. cobracommander9 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Powerbook g4 1GB that I've had for 7 yrs. I recently upgraded to Tiger 10.4.11 and have upgraded Firefox to version 3.6.8. I also upgraded to flash 10 (latest version). On the first day, everything ran great except for not being able to view embedded Youtube videos. Later, I was no longer able to stream music on grooveshark.com. It would upload but the songs would not play saying that there were too many failed attempts (that message would appear on the first attempt). I tried Safari 3 and everything worked great (including embedded videos.) When I realized that I could upgrade to Safari 4, I went for it with 4.0.5. Upon restart, I gave it a test spin. I found that I could no longer view embedded videos and that grooveshark will not initialize, let alone play songs. I was wondering if I need to tweak Safari? IF not, how can I go back to version 3? I think my problems are Flash related since grooveshark required flash 10 (reason I upgraded from Jaguar). I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Cobra

2. MacinDan macrumors regular

You could try moving ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox and ~/Library/Safari out of your Library folder temporarily and restarting Firefox and Safari to see if the symptoms repeat. If not, then you know there's something in those folders causing problems.

You could also trash the Macromedia folder in your preferences in case you have a corrupt preference file. These are just shots in the dark. Maybe it's a permissions issue for all I know.

Last suggestion is to reinstall Flash.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you had panther before and i guess flashplayer 9 or even 8 which work great as they had full support for ppc processors , but as you upgraded to tiger and installed flashplayer 10 which is a processor hog and able to fry a ppc processor if used over a longer period of time , but in my opinion thats as inteded by apple and adobe to get you to buy a intel Mac :mad::( apple realised there are to many ppc Macs outside which still work perfectly and the owners would only buy a new intel Mac if their ppc mac dies ,apple did try everything they even went as far as building a operating system called snow leopard and made it impossible to install snow leopard on a ppc Mac , but damn it went wrong as not many ppc Mac users had be bothered and carried on to use their panther's and tigers , apple was confused why would people not want to upgrade and buy new Mac's , so they did ask adobe if they could do something about that ..and they did ....flashplayer 10 , and it works more and more ditch their ppc Mac's only to be able to watch youtube in HD , but something went wrong and apple realised adobe gone a bit to far as some intel Mac's aso have probs to play youtube now ...so they gone HTML5 to get around that dilemma
    so simple said you want flash videos use HTML5 ..dont know if its supported by firefox , but safari 4 .1 definitely does support html 5
    http://www.youtube.com/html5

4. cobracommander9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I appreciate the thoughts about flash. I used to have Jaguar 10.2.8 until four days ago when I upgraded to Tiger. I didn't have much choice since I could access fewer sites every year and would like to get an external hard disc (need Tiger to get one). My computer does run better now with fewer "frisbees of death". When I run firefox 2.0, it works much better now and can stream songs on grooveshark without eventually overloading. Firefox 3 loads up grooveshark but won't play anything. Safari 4 doesn't even load grooveshark (although safari 3 did load and play without a hitch). I have installed a add-on to Firefox to block flash content unless I approve of the content. No more cpu hording ads. I'm just puzzled about why these two up to date browsers are full of gremlins. Thanks, Cobra

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you are on the wrong way , its grooveshark who went the flashplayer route so you need flashplayer 10 , and as flashplayer 10 will run on a G3 with 500mhz , but , and its a big but on the minimum requirements adobe states a graphics card with a minimum of at least 128mb ram , 64mb and a G5 processor with 1.8ghz or faster if you want to do anything with HD or SD video content and a resolution of max 852x480 !!!!!
    , also it will run on a G3 with 500mhz , but then you need a graphics card with at least 128mb ,and loads of ram to compensate for the slower processor ,the slower processor gets the full load as if the minimum hardware requirements are not met flashplayer goes into software mode and thats just to much to handle
    if you would have a iMac 27" with the i7 processor even that one would struggle if you would fit a graphics card with only 16mb like the ati rage for example and only give it 512 mb ram
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/#footnote_hwaccel