Firefox & fonts question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Jan 29, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

Ever since I switched to Mac, the Firefox fonts seem slightly different than when I was in Windows.

The difference is especially apparent when it comes to text in bold - on Mac it seems thicker than it did on Windows.

I've attached 2 snapshots - one from Windows and one from Mac Firefox for you to get the idea. Focus on the blue headlines in bold in the middle of the pic.

Windows Firefox:
    [​IMG]

Mac Firefox:
    [​IMG]

Is it possible to set Mac's Firefox fonts to not appear as thick as they do? (2nd pic) It is especially apparent with Chinese characters, at times makes them hard to recognize, in particular the characters with lots of strokes.

2. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

This is actually a difference in the way OS X renders fonts over the way WinXP/Vista does it. The Apple version is more true to how the fonts would appear in print. The Windows version tends to stay closer to the pixel grind and thus looks lighter in appearance. If you Google the difference between OS X and WinXP font rendering there are some good articles that explain it really well.