Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Not so sure about serious UX issue. I think it boils down to what you're used to doing. The bottom of the screen is no more accessible than the top.

Not sure if I'm seeing things, but did you say that the bottom of the screen is no more accessible with the top? If so, I don't follow. I don't have to grip my iPhone differently or fumble around to tap something on the bottom versus the top corner (among others).

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Fanboys love Safari, I get that. But it's a terrible browser. Unless of course you love having your browser chew up all available memory.

Fanboy's? I am not Apple Fanboy. I only own an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 6 Plus because they are the best device out there when I bought them. Yeah Specs wise Android tablets and phones are better but the experiences with iOS is far superior when you look at App quality , performance of apps and battery life. Safari is tied to the OS very heavily so it makes it the best default browser imo. You want to read a link a friend texted you, or sent in an email? You will use Safari unless you copy the link and paste it into another browser. You use Siri you go with Safari.

djang0

macrumors member
May 20, 2015
Why do people have to be so opinionated?

Safari doesn't suck on OS X, Firefox is the one that does.

Fanboys love Safari, I get that. But it's a terrible browser.

This one tops it all. I'm inclined to see this a trolling, because it's so full of irony.

True people should have choices. However it should be informed and well-grounded choices not based on false statements such as "Safari sucks".

And not all choices are good choices. Firefox sucks in terms of performance. It's a fact.

Just because you get a greater experience with a certain browser, doesn't mean that's the case for everyone.
Just because you use it in a certain way, doesn't mean that everyone uses it the same way.
Just because you have some needs, doesn't mean that everyone has the same needs.

And of course this applies to many other things as well.

So how can you choose for others? Why be so condescending?

Imagine how regrettable it would be not to have choice.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Not sure if I'm seeing things, but did you say that the bottom of the screen is no more accessible with the top? If so, I don't follow. I don't have to grip my iPhone differently or fumble around to tap something on the bottom versus the top corner (among others).
No you're not seeing things. You may be overlooking some though.;):D iOS doesn't equal iPhone. The top and bottom of an iPad screen, whether mini, Air, or Pro, is equally accessible. I don't use an iPhone, but my daughter does (iP6) and I have no problem reaching the top or bottom of that phone. Same with my GS5. No issues hitting any corner. Maybe I'm just used to the size.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
So far iCab Mobile has been the best browser for me, mainly for ability to download and password protect :)

Reactions: djgamble

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
My God! That awkward feeling when even Apple software has more settings and switches than a popular piece of freeware.

That app is absolutely unconfigurable. What a joke.

Glassed Silver:mac

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
What? lmao. Are you sure you own a mac?
I like safari, its not the best but works better than others.
Chrome is the most universal and my secondary browser for anything that doesn't work in safari.

Yeah as much as I hate Google and Chrome, it's like the 'IE of olden days. Most sites are designed to work with it...

I find the sites I use (YMMV) work best on Firefox though.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah the important part is that it uses Webkit... so it is basically a repackaged Safari? Yay!
Well, all browsers in iOS have to use the same underlying engine, it's not like iOS really provides choices when it comes to that.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah the important part is that it uses Webkit... so it is basically a repackaged Safari? Yay!

If you have all your stuff in Firefox on the desktop, though, the underlying engine doesn't matter as much. The syncing passwords, bookmarks, and so forth is a great thing.

Edit: Could somebody check if Firefox has random freezing when moving to Private Mode. Safari does that for me.

Last edited:

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Except Safari on Mac sucks, so why would I use it on iOS when using Firefox carries over all my info from the desktop version?
I agree. Safari on OS X sucks. I hate it. I use FireFox on OSX and on Windows. But I use the built in Safari on my iPad Air and iPhone 6S. It seems to work perfectly fine, and now with the content blocking ability I really like it.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Mozilla engineer here,

We do have bookmark syncing support in 1.1

1Password: working on it https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1162174

We're seeing what we can do provided we would need access to private API's from Apple (as do all other 3rd party browsers), but we're investigating the potential for the future.

Yes, I was previously corrected on the matter. I wasn't aware 1.1 was available when I posted.

Keep up the good work. Thanks!

kapp2

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
I would say, the most special browser for iOS right now. is Opera Coast :) but slow and crash alot :/

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Ok, so it turns out that this version of Firefox does have split view functionality on iPad. Not sure why it didn't show up at first, but after a reboot it was in the list which I found completely by accident yesterday.

I will use it as a secondary browser on my iPad. I like that the top and bottom bar of the Firefox browser take up the same amount of screen real estate as Safari while it's in the 2nd window.

I also like that it uses iOS 8’s WKWebView instead of the slower UIWebView which ALL other 3rd party browsers on iOS still seem to be using.

ardent73

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
So web pages that crash and/or force reload on Safari are rock solid on Firefox. It's both really sad and really funny...

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
This thread has really fallen apart into pointless bickering without any substantiated facts. A totally pointless flame/browser war.

Are there any real reasons to swap to Firefox for iOS?

The only thing I really want is to sync tabsbetween Chrome on Windows and Safari on iOS and OS X. Right now Safari syncs between iOS and OS X but I can't sync it with Chrome on Windows and vice versa.

No.

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
The only thing I really want is to sync tabsbetween Chrome on Windows and Safari on iOS and OS X. Right now Safari syncs between iOS and OS X but I can't sync it with Chrome on Windows and vice versa.

Have you tried downloading iCloud for Windows to sync your bookmarks with Chrome?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.