Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
This has been happening a lot lately. I am not sure if this is computer issue or a firefox issue. My firefox has been freezing all the time. A lot of times when I change pages it will freeze, the spinning color icon shows up (not too sure what its called) and i have to wait like 30 seconds and its back to normal..

this never happens when i use safari or any other programs..

any ideas?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Well seeing as you have 8 gigs of ram, I doubt that's the reason. Also, seeing that it's Firefox, I'd also assume there's a problem with the program itself.

Open Activity Monitor. What is the usage of Firefox? When you completely quit the program and restart it, does the prOblem occur instantly or does it occur after some time?

What are your page ins with Activity Monitor?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox?

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Well seeing as you have 8 gigs of ram, I doubt that's the reason. Also, seeing that it's Firefox, I'd also assume there's a problem with the program itself.

Open Activity Monitor. What is the usage of Firefox? When you completely quit the program and restart it, does the prOblem occur instantly or does it occur after some time?

What are your page ins with Activity Monitor?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox?

I havent tried completely uninstalling then reinstalling.. I have just upgraded and still doing the same thing..

It happens every 5 minutes.. more or less

As far as CPU usage in activity monitor, I have one tab open now and its jumping back and forth between around 3% to 42%. When it freezes it goes to 102%

Page ins: 890.7 mb

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I havent tried completely uninstalling then reinstalling.. I have just upgraded and still doing the same thing..

It happens every 5 minutes.. more or less

As far as CPU usage in activity monitor, I have one tab open now and its jumping back and forth between around 3% to 42%. When it freezes it goes to 102%

Page ins: 890.7 mb

Hmm; the type of content on a particular page might be causing these problems. When I have a lot of tabs open that contain flash content or heavy content of a certain format, firefox uses up more CPU even if the pages are actually doing anything. No actual work being done.

Tey switching to a different browser? Chrome is great and amazingly fast, that's what I use as my main browser anyway.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
This has been happening a lot lately. I am not sure if this is computer issue or a firefox issue. My firefox has been freezing all the time. A lot of times when I change pages it will freeze, the spinning color icon shows up (not too sure what its called) and i have to wait like 30 seconds and its back to normal..

this never happens when i use safari or any other programs..

any ideas?

Firefox has always seemed... broken on OS X. Firefox 7 crashed on me once. Sent my computer into a rabid frenzy, paging out several gigabytes. Which is ironic, because the browser was supposed to have gotten rid of memory leaks.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Firefox has always seemed... broken on OS X. Firefox 7 crashed on me once. Sent my computer into a rabid frenzy, paging out several gigabytes. Which is ironic, because the browser was supposed to have gotten rid of memory leaks.

I have been thinking about switching over to chrome.. is there an easy way to transfer saved passwords etc from FF to chrome?

*edit*

Just downloaded chrome and saved passwords etc switched over soooo easy.

Anyone know if you can customize colors and stuff like firefox?

Last edited:

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I have been thinking about switching over to chrome.. is there an easy way to transfer saved passwords etc from FF to chrome?

*edit*

Just downloaded chrome and saved passwords etc switched over soooo easy.

Anyone know if you can customize colors and stuff like firefox?

Go to the official chrome store and they have applications, extensions, themes, and all of that jazz. Just make sure it's the official store and not some knockoff with compatible applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.