Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I have a 2011 MBP with 2.4GHz i7 cpu and 4GB ram, and Mac OS X 10.7.4.

I like to keep several Firefox windows open, and I've noticed if I reboot the MBP and launch Firefox (which is set to reopen all the previous windows), then the system runs fine initially.

But then after a few days of having Firefox open, the system starts slowing down, and I frequently see that spinning rainbow circle thing which means the system is struggling to do whatever it's trying to do and the fan starts running at maximum loudness.

I didn't think it was Firefox, since I don't see this problem on Windows. (I have the latest Firefox 13.0.1 installed on Mac OS X.) But now I have closed all the Firefox windows while leaving Firefox still running, and the Activity Monitor is showing a "firefox" process taking up 100.8% of the CPU and 12KB of memory, and a different "Firefox" process taking up 760MB of RAM and 0.0% of the CPU. So maybe it is Firefox that's slowing down the system.

Oh, and now I told Firefox to quit, and there's no longer the dot under the Firefox icon in the dockbar which means it isn't running, but Activity Monitor still shows the "firefox" process and a couple of Firefox plugin processes. Time to reboot.

I'm going to try running Chrome for a while to see if I get the same slowdown.

Last edited:

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I don't think it's a Firefox issue. I've been running Chrome for a couple hours now (Firefox is not running), and I'm starting to notice a little bit of a system slowdown. Activity Monitor says there is a process called "Shockwave Flash (Chrome Plug-In Host)" that is taking up about 60% of the CPU and 700MB of RAM.

kmo19

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
I have the same issue on both my Mac Pro and MB Pro. Both are slowing to a crawl and this Shockwave Flash Chrome Plug-in Host seems to be the culprit. Wish there was a fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.