Firefox Hogging Resources/Being Laggy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steiney, Feb 11, 2011.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello All,

A couple days ago, Firefox started hogging my CPU and becoming laggy. Before then, it was perfectly fine and would run great. I haven't made any changes in the last few days that would cause this sort of issue. Something must have changed, but I can't think of what it could be.

I've tried reinstalling Firefox, but nothing changed. I'm wondering if I should clear my cache and reset Firefox, but I really don't want to lose my web history and settings, etc.

If anyone has any suggestions or has heard of the phenomenon before, I would love to hear any possible solutions.

It's kind of frustrating because I use my computer for work and rely on Firefox heavily. I would switch to another browser for now, but I have Firefox so well customized to my liking, I can't bear to use another browser.

Thanks in advance,

steiney

2. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Are you using FireFox 4 or FireFox 3?

If you're on 3, I suggest downloading FireFox 4 (beta) --- I found FireFox 3 to stutter and be very laggy at times - FireFox 4 fixed all those probs

3. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll check it out. I didn't realize anyone could download their beta. I thought you had to be in a developer program or something. So you've found FF4 pretty stable?

4. HacKage macrumors regular

I had these problems using the latest version of Firefox 3, mem usage around 1Gb after 30mins, and cpu usage jumping from 25-100% constantly. Switched to Safari, but would go back to Firefox in a flash if they sorted the problems!

5. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have the same problems. Sometimes, FF is quiet as can be, then at other times, it gets crazy. And I'm not really using it that much. Few tabs open, no flash going. I don't what the problem is. I just can't quit FF because I've got it so well tweaked to my liking.

6. you-of-eh macrumors member

Usually if you've had FF open for a while with a lot of tabs going with flash and stuff, it'll get really slow. But if you quit and start it up again it should be back to normal.