Firefox homepage changed by visiting proxy server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jethryn Freyman, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I was checking out various proxy servers with Firefox, trying to find a fast, reliable server. After testing one, my homepage (www.google.com.au) came up as an "Apache Tomcat" page.

This keeps happening even if I type www.google.com, it redirects to www.google.com.au, which displays the Apache Tomcat page. It says I have successfully set it up, despite never having even heard of it before.

I have used the Terminal to check for recently modified files, and have looked through Firefox's preferences. Little Snitch reports no network connections by Firefox as it loads www.google.com.au and displays the Tomcat page. I can still do google searches from the search bar in Firefox.

Below is a transcript from part of the page. I think that there's a UNIX file on my drive that has been modified somehow, but I haven't found it.

If you're seeing this page via a web browser, it means you've setup Tomcat successfully. Congratulations!

As you may have guessed by now, this is the default Tomcat home page. It can be found on the local filesystem at:

$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/index.html

where "$CATALINA_HOME" is the root of the Tomcat installation directory. If you're seeing this page, and you don't think you should be, then you're either a user who has arrived at new installation of Tomcat, or you're an administrator who hasn't got his/her setup quite right. Providing the latter is the case, please refer to the Tomcat Documentation for more detailed setup and administration information than is found in the INSTALL file.

Does anybody know how to get rid of this "Tomcat?"

2. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman