Firefox - How to stop video Autoplay when opened in new tab

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ashy7, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ashy7 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I bought a 2.4Ghz MacBook pro last week. It is my first Mac, and I am slowly getting used to it. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me out with (I have searched but found no answers!):

1) In Firefox on my old PC, and Safari on the current Mac, if I open a video in a new tab, the video would not auto-play, until I clicked on the tab. On Firefox on the Mac the video just auto plays. This is pretty annoying when I open 4 or 5 videos in different tabs and they all start playing. I want to click on the tab before it starts playing.

As safari on the Mac does not play the videos automatically, I am hoping there is a way to stop it on Firefox?

2) I know that holding cmd and clicking on a link opens it in a new window, but is it possible to assign for example a 3 finger click to open a link in a new tab?

Cheers
    Ash

2. ashy7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I came across that while I was doing a search. The following comment from the developer didn't fill me with much confidence though:

"I don't have time to maintain Stop Autoplay. The extension is still buggy and the code needs to be rewritten, but that is beyond my ability. I am looking for someone to take over the development. If you are interesting in this extension, feel free to take it, you don't need to tell me. I appreciate your help."

I am hoping there is a more reliable fix.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

an example would be helpful, maybe a link to a video you would it not to autoplay.

in the mean time, try goto about:config and change value of media.autoplay.enabled to false.

Attached Files:

4. ashy7 thread starter macrumors newbie

So an example is metacafe.com. If you open a video in a new tab, the video will start playing automatically, whether you click on the tab or not.

If you open up the same site in safari, and open the video in a new tab, the video will only start playing once you have clicked on the tab.

I tried changing the config file, but it didn't work.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

that addon might be your only shot. try it out, it wont eat your browser.

6. ashy7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give it a go, but I think I might just give Safari a try and see how I get along with that.