Firefox Icon Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmpotash, Aug 25, 2008.

1. mmpotash macrumors member

I set up my first mac this week and downloaded 2 programs, sorry, applications:eek:.

NeoOffice was fine and I ended up with a NeoOffice icon on the dock and one on the desktop. I trashed the desktop icon and the dock NeoOffice icon worked as it should. Firefox also had an icon on the dock plus an icon on the desktop. If I trashed the desktop icon, then opened Firefox with the dock icon, a window would open showing I needed to drag/drop to the "applications" symbol. That would open Firefox but would add the desktop icon again. When I kept both of the Firefox icons then Firefox would open normally when I clicked on the Firefox dock icon. Is there anyway to get rid of the Firefox desktop icon and still open Firefox with a click on the dock icon?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you didn't install Firefox correctly.

1. Download the Firefox .dmg file.
    2. Mount the .dmg file...it will appear as an ejectable drive on your Desktop.
    3. Drage Firefox from the mounted .dmg to your Applications folder.
    4. Eject the mounted disk and delete the .dmg file.
    5. Drag Firefox from your Applications folder to your Dock.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When installing Firefox, you should download the dmg file, click on it (opening a virtual drive) and follow the instructions by dragging the firefox icon into your applications folder. Then trash the dmg file and eject the virtual drive.

From this point, if you want a dock icon, go to your applications folder, locate the firefox icon, and drag it into your dock.

This Macrumors guide covers the various ways in which you may need to install applications in OS X: Installing Applications if OS X.