Firefox is annoying me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hummer, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Is there anyway I can export my cookies, history, and bookmarks to Safari or Camino. Firefox isn't loading much of anything anymore and its pissing me off. I really want to switch to Safari or Camino, the only problem is I don't know how to get my cookies over because it sucks having to have to re log in to each site, some of which I don't know the password to by heart.

2. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I know that this doesn't answer your question, but have you tried uninstalling Firefox and then trying to install again from the latest version available on the net? I use Firefox and never have problems, in fact for me its the best browser available.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

If you go to the Security tab of the Firefox preferences, there is a Show Passwords... button...it'll give you a list of the sites, accounts and passwords that Firefox has been set to remember. You'll still have to re-enter them into Safari, though.

I think your history cache is a goner and I'm not sure how to export Firefox bookmarks either. your bookmarks are hiding in Home/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles in a subfolder and named as bookmarks.html...try importing that into Safari and it should work like a charm.

Good Luck.

4. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

I can just restart Firefox and it'll run well, but after a while it'll stop loading things like pictures and then when I click on links it wont even bother trying to load. Right now its working. I'm not going to bother reinstalling. I'll just wait till someone posts instructions on how to export cookies. That's my main issue.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It looks like the Firefox cookies are in a text file called cookie.txt in the same subfolder inside Home/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles that the bookmarks are in. The problem is I don't know if you can import that file into Safari or not...since I'm not sure how Safari manages it's cookies.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Migrating from Firefox (to Camino).

7. Dexists macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump an old thread but is there anyone who knows the solution to this firefox problem? I have the exact same problem and can't fix it :(

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you can fix it easily by creating and start using a new profile.

you can back up your bookmarks and passwords first, but you will need to re-install extensions and themes you have.

9. Dexists macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if mozilla are going to address this in ff3? Seems like a pretty major fault for them to overlook.

Also, on a different note, does anyone know if there are other browsers where you can add custom search engines to the search bar? I know you can in camino but that looks like a lot of hassle.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox 3 does indeed have improved protection against library corruption.

i don't know how much will change in each individual case tho.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmmm that's really odd.
    Do you have any scripts, third-party plug-ins installed?

Well, my FF runs fine but occasionally it'll just cease to respond and quit! Relaunching the app will function fine again but for how long? hahaha... pain in the rear!

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And from there you can export to Safari if you want.