Resolved Firefox keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lewis82, Apr 10, 2011.

1. lewis82, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

When browsing, Firefox 4.0 will, every time and after a seemingly random interval of time since last launch (altough never higher than 5 minutes) start using 100% of one core, and just hang there. Waiting does not resolve the problem, I have to force quit the app. It is not linked to a particular website: it can happen anytime, anywhere (I'm using Chrome right now).

I tried repairing permissions, nothing changed. I tried re-downloading Firefox, but nothing changed. I also disabled all extensions, which again did not solve the problem.

The weirdest is that it happened all of a sudden, after I played with some Google Chrome files (I had disabled the autoupdate agent by creating empty files and setting chmod to 000, which worked). Deleting them and letting Chrome populate the drive with normal ones did not solve the problem.

Any ideas/suggestions to try before I reinstall OS X? Thanks in advance.

2. lewis82 thread starter macrumors 68000

lewis82

I'm posting in case it helps anyone in the future: I solved my problem by exporting my bookmarks, deleting the Firefox folder from /~/Library/Application Support. You'll then need to import your bookmarks and reinstall all extensions.

For some reason, it solved the problem :)