Firefox keeps on freezing why oh why

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chipandegg, Jun 27, 2009.

1. chipandegg macrumors regular

chipandegg

I installed the Safari 4 and had a enough of it crashing on me.

So I updated to Firefox 3, this seems to freeze a lot 'application not responding'. Its just like being on a pc!

Anybody else had this happen to them,

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If both browsers are crashing on you, I'd say it isn't the browser's problem
    I'd look elsewhere for a solution

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. chipandegg thread starter macrumors regular

chipandegg

I never had a problem with Safari 3 at all, it worked fine. I download the Safari and have had a few problems, for instance crashing.

FF3 likes to freeze. Have you/anybodyelse any advice on how to remedy this problem?

4. Meek Wriggle macrumors member

Do you use any addons with Firefox? If so, try it without some of them (or all of them). You could also try completely uninstalling FF then reinstalling it (use Appcleaner to uninstall it properly).

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I actually experienced problems with FF3.0 occasionally slowing down or crashing. I am using FF3.5 RC3 now and it has been rock solid. Not only that but FINALLY FF runs as fast or even faster than Safari 4.

Being about 3 days from the release of FF3.5 final I doubt you would find any problems with the RC3 version.

6. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Addons can be the problem or sometimes it can be the tab restore function. If you have Firefox set to "Show my Windows and Tabs from Last time" this causes frequent hard drive access, which may result in freezes.

7. chipandegg thread starter macrumors regular

chipandegg

Just wondering what does RC3 mean?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

3rd Release Candidate.

9. chipandegg thread starter macrumors regular

chipandegg

So its not 'the' final version then?

10. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

It depends on them finding bugs, some rc become finals

11. peetah macrumors member

Have you tried deleting the files in your cache and history?

Also, Firefox 3.5 was released today. Upgrade, but delete your cache and history before you do.

12. chipandegg thread starter macrumors regular

chipandegg

I understand.

Well I downloaded FF3.5 and it went 'not responding' on me (once). I've being google'ing this and it seems other people have had this happen to them.

13. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

You either have some out of date Web Browser plugins (Flash is a reliable crasher of browsers on a Mac) or your RAM is bad or the hard disk has some issues.

Software wise:

There are folders for browser plugins located at:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins/

And (your home folder):

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins/

Take all the plugins out, put them on the desktop and close/reopen the browser. If it stops crashing, its a plugin. Move one back at a time, QuickTime then Flash, maybe Flip4Mac (Windows Media player). If it starts crashing it was the last plugin.

Could also be corrupted System files. Archive and install from the System disc, if you have the time.

Hardware wise:

If you get crashes without any plugin, you might have either a bad stick of RAM or some problem on the Hard Drive. Take it to an Apple store or tech guy and have them swap RAM sticks out and/or run a disk utility on the Hard Drive.

If none of that helps, it may just be the websites you visit. There are many web browsers on the market such as Firefox 3.5 (new today) and Safari-based ones like Google Chrome.

I have had *zero* problems with Safari 4 since the developer previews, except for some changes in rendering that differ significantly from IE7/Firefox.

Part of my job is to make web-based apps (and custom browser plugins for the Mac) so I have to use all manner of browsers and be as compliant as possible, and Safari 4 is the best browser for consistent rendering to the HTML/CSS specs IMO. Google Chrome uses the same underlying HTML engine as Safari 4, so other than looking/working differently as a web browser it renders the same as Safari 4.