FireFox (missing bin?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AV8TOR, Mar 29, 2010.

1. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

So when I run onyX or Maintenance an installed applications window pops up and asks me where Firefox-Bin is. I am new to the Mac world and I don't know what to tell it so I cancel. Firefox is running just fine. Spotlight does not find it and nor does Finder.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Odd... there's a report of the same thing at the Mozilla base...

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=nl&comments_parentId=491951&forumId=1

Doesn't list any solution or explanation.... FWIW, the location of that file is...

/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

Assuming that you installed Firefox in the default Applications folder (if not, put the rest of the path in before Firefox.app). If Onyx allows you to put in a location for the firefox binary, try this one and see what happens.

3. AV8TOR thread starter macrumors regular

AV8TOR

Thank you I will search that path when I get home. This machine has only one user profile and it should have installed in the applications folder that it was drug to.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would normally be at the path indicated. Really the only time it ever commonly isn't is when people make all kinds of sub-folders for their apps (some people do this, like make a "Browsers" folder and then put Firefox in it, etc.).

You should be able to just paste that into the Onyx box, or else you can open a terminal and type:

open /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/

and then you should get a finder window that shows the firefox-bin file in it. The way Mac apps are packaged is that the app itself is a folder (with extension .app) with contents inside, including executables, image files, etc. So, you can also (one more way) find the Firefox app icon, then right click it, choose "Show Package Contents," and then navigate to the Contents and then the MacOS folders inside it....

5. Arrandale macrumors regular

you should find it somewhere in the firefox.app package, right click and select show package contents