Firefox needs a couple of secs to open - is this normal??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jon08, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 68000

Ok, well I have a previous gen. MBP 2.5 ghz, 4 GB ram. When I turn on or restart the computer and then open (for ex.) Firefox, it usually takes about 4 secs or so until the browser opens. Is this normal?

My point is, I thought considering there are 4 GB of RAM, it would supposedly open right away.

I guess I was wrong.

I'd just like to ask everyone else with 4GB RAM: each time after restart or turning the computer on, does starting Firefox or any other programs for the first time need 3-5 secs to actually open?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yeah that's normal. When launching Firefox from a fresh on an Octo 2.8 w/ 6GB RAM it takes a few seconds on first launch.

After it's been launched once, it's much faster next time...until your next reboot.

All programs will behave this way. Initial launch time just depends on how big the program is and what it needs to load.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This might be a time of instant gratification, but if you can't wait four seconds for something, get an SSD.

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

Yep, you can have a million gagabytes of RAM, but you are still limited to the speed of your hard drive. a 7200rpm disk would help slightly, and an SSD will solve the problem, I'm going to wait a few months for the price to come down a bit on those intel SSDs. People have been reporting instantaneous program launches.

5. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Cool, I just wanted to be on the safe side... I have no problem waiting for a couple of secs, so that's fine.. :p:cool:

6. dkhuynh macrumors member

firefox 3.0 has been buggy on my mac and pc,
    i switched to safari and noticed a major difference.

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Btw, how to open several Firefox windows at the same time? Is it even possible?

So far, I could only open new tabs in the same window, but sometimes I wish to open a separate Firefox window...

8. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

CMD+N ;)

Since I've bound "swipe up" to open a new tab and "swipe down" to close the current tab in multiclutch, I"m using only one FF window all the time ;)

9. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ahh cool, danke schoen.:):cool: