Firefox New Window Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vchalupa, Mar 16, 2010.

1. vchalupa macrumors member

I've been using Firefox for years now and have never seen this problem before. I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem either so any insight would be much appreciated.

Every time I use the cmd + N keys to open a new firefox window, nothing shows up. If I right click on the firefox logo in my dock, I can see that another window has opened up but it's not visible anywhere on the screen. Eventually I found out that this TINY window on the top left of my screen is open right under the menu bar. This window is so small that I can't even grab it with my mouse to enlarge it. I can barely get my mouse over it to click it and can't seem to click on it long enough to move it around at all. The window even shows up on expose.

I didn't know what to do so I uninstalled Firefox and downloaded it again and put my extensions and everything back and yet the problem still exists.

Any thoughts? I'm out of clues at this point, it just doesn't make sense to me what's going on. My computer is up to date with the latest software including Snow Leopard.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you in advance.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Did you delete ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox when you uninstalled? That's probably where the problem is.

Note: Doing so will also delete all of your bookmarks, add-ons, preferences, etc.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

When I saw this thread I thought you had the 2 windows for the price of one problem in Firefox 3.6 that I'm dealing with. :confused: It happens every time Firefox isn't running and I open a URL from an application. I get 2 windows opening: One with the URL in it, and one blank one.

Anyway, I agree with the previous poster: Move/Delete your profile and try again. (Also, if the profile is indeed the problem, you can back up your bookmarks from the old one to a JSON file, then import them into the new one, which I highly recommend doing.)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

As far as I know, that's just how the application works.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is new in Firefox 3.6. Firefox 3.5.7 and earlier never did this, which is why I'm confused.