Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I'm really liking Firefox more than I ever have, but there's a few things I'm wondering if you Firefox pros could help me out with.

1) Is there a way to just type in the main word for a URL and have the browser append the .com? I am so used to just typing 'nytimes' or 'digg' or 'macrumors' in the address bar and having Safari append the rest of the address (or picking the top hit from the drop-down list of recently visited sites with those names and it automatically picking the first one when I hit enter).

2) Is there a way to map specific bookmarks to cmd keys? In Safari I had a nice set up of 4 or 5 sites mapped to cmd + 1 through 5 which I got very used to.

The ad-blocking extension is amazing in Firefox. And I also love that they've added smooth scrolling (albeit not the system-wide smooth scrolling). And most importantly, it is rendering pages quicker than Safari.

Thanks!

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
for #1

firefox uses google's "lucky search" to identify the site when you do not add a .com and such.

typing nytimes in the address bar will take you to the site

dws90

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
To automatically insert the .com, press Cmd + Enter instead of Enter.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
For the bookmark thing: After you bookmarked a site go to the Bookmarks menu and choose "organize bookmarks" (or whatever it says, I am on the German version here). Then click on the bookmark, then "more" and there you should see a field "keyword". There you could type for example "1".
And now when you type 1 into the address bar, it will open that bookmark.

Not quite the same, but I think it will work out for you too. I am using this for my favorite sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.