Firefox not allowing add-ons

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by omegadm, Mar 29, 2009.

1. omegadm macrumors newbie

I installed a "bad" add-on and ever since then (despite removing it) I can no longer update or install add-ons. The error message is attached.

I am figuring this is a permissions issue. However, I have been through:
    /Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Firefox and the permissions look OK. Essentially all owner file permissions are rw and dirs rwx.

Before I change everything to 777, has anyone experienced this before and found the fix?

I have removed Firefox (moved to trash) and re-installed, but the same problem.

TIA, Brian

Attached Files:

2. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Well you need to use AppCleaner instead of just moving it to the trash. That may help.

Also, dwnload the beta of Firefox 3.1, it seems to be a lot more stable and much faster. Just my two cents.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this happens to me before, but mainly because of server issues, try again normally fix it, didn't mess with anything locally.

which version of firefox are you using now?

4. omegadm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for tip on AppCleaner, though the site (http://www.freemacsoft.net) appears to be down. I am using Firefox 3.0.7

Will try this tomorrow and let you know.

Brian

5. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Ah crap, you're right it is down. Email me at jeremy [at] jeremybuff [dot] com if you'd like to me to email you a zip of the App.

6. omegadm thread starter macrumors newbie

Ran AppCleaner, re-installed FF3.0.8, same problem :(

Add-ons will not add-on!

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u can always create a new profile. 99% of the time it solves the problem.

8. jeremybuff macrumors regular

That's what I was aiming at with my recommendation to use AppCleaner. It's very odd, what is happening. I'll try and look into this a bit, it's probably something that can easily be reset. But as far as the profile, AppCleaner should have zapped that.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot.. why don't you install the beta? It's a lot faster and runs more smoothly on my Mac. Not sure that will do anything since you already used AppCleaner to get ride of 3.0.8. I'd def. give the 3.1 beta 3 a try, though.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

appcleaner doesn't handle firefox's profile folder, does it? im not sure

10. jeremybuff macrumors regular

It did for me when I did it a few months ago. It deleted everything related to Firefox. Unless something has changed, then it should delete the profile folder. However, as you said, I would def. check to make sure it was deleted.

11. omegadm thread starter macrumors newbie

AppCleaner gives you the option to keep your profile info and cache. I tried both options (keep and remove completely) as I wanted to keep my stored passwords. Neither have altered the situation!

I also tried creating a new profile but same issue. I can't believe I have ended up with something so difficult...

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

just a test, how about try creating a new acc on OSX?

not meant to be a solution, just a test to figure out where the problem is.

13. omegadm thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Clevin, thanks - if I log in as a new user it works :)

The only difference I can see in permissions is that the new account has all /profile files with extended attributes e.g. ls -la@ extensions.ini

-rw-r--r--@ 1 bclifton bclifton 6522 1 Apr 19:54 extensions.ini
    com.apple.quarantine 46

but in my own account only a handful are extended. I doubt this is a clue as it just means the file was donloaded from the web (new feature in Leopard).

However I am cluting at straws here...

14. omegadm thread starter macrumors newbie