Firefox not clearing history correctly.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neenja, Jan 9, 2010.

1. neenja macrumors 6502

I've done everything correctly. Tools, Clear Recent History, and i click Everything.

For some reason, there are a set 5-8 websites that still show up in my history bar when I click the down arrow.

I've tried deleting the firefox profile and reinstalling, which did the trick. But now the url's are back.

Anyone have this problem?

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

now see, if you were using safari, the best and fastest web browser in the world, you wouldnt have this problem.

3. Mumford macrumors regular

That's not your history bar, that's your Awesome Bar. As of 3.something it searches your bookmarks as well as your history. Those things coming up when you hit down arrow may be coming from your bookmarks.

It caused a minor stir when it was introduced because there was no way to go back to the old behavior. Now you can under Preferences -> Privacy -> Location Bar.

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:

5. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

i tried that too. i set it to use only the History to suggest. That being done.. when I go in and "clear history" i choose Everything, click details, check everything..

after that, these certain urls still show up when i click the arrow down bar.

any idea?

6. Mumford macrumors regular

Just verified I was having the same problem... it was still loading bookmarks even though I had configured it to search only history. I fixed it by exporting my bookmarks, shutting down Firefox, deleting bookmarkbackups, bookmarks.html and places.sqlite from my Firefox profile, then importing the bookmarks back in.

7. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

i tried something similar to this, saved my bookmarks and my password list with an add and totally uninstalled then reinstalled firefox.. this fixed the problem but it came back a few weeks later.

im gonna try exactly what you did.. how did you delete those specific things from your firefox profile?

8. Mumford macrumors regular

9. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

i have no idea what that means bro..

would you mind giving me a step by step if you have time? thanks in advance :)

10. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm.. well of those few urls that keep showing up, i went in and deleted them all from my bookmarks folder.. restarted and they are still there!

this is just weird.

11. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

FIXED!

Weird, i actually did find those urls in my bookmarks. I deleted them individually and then did a Clear History "Everything" again and they finally went away.

I think it has something to do with saving the bookmarks.html from a windows machine (i had a vaio before this mbp)

All is well now. Thanks again everyone! :D