Firefox not loading correctly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by srelyk, Feb 12, 2011.

1. srelyk macrumors newbie

I was cleaning out my macbook's hard drive this morning, and I guess I deleted some files that Firefox needs to run on accident. I didn't notice it till I tried to go to youtube and the page wouldn't load. Safari and Chrome are still correctly loading youtube so I know it isn't a problem with my internet. It seems to load most websites correctly, macrumors is obviously loading.

I cleared out my trash bin when I was done so I don't have any of the files that could possibly be the solution to this. I removed firefox.app from my hard drive, cleared my trash bin again, and reinstalled but this still didn't solve it either. I've tried restarting my macbook, restarting Firefox, updating Firefox, opening and closing the application but nothing has worked for me so far.

I'm attaching a screen shot of what happens when I try to go to http://www.youtube.com/.

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't know if this will help, but it won't hurt. Put the plist file on your Desktop and then start Firefox.

HD/Users/YoruUserName/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist

3. srelyk thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried moving the org.mozilla.firefox.plist file to my desktop and I restarted firefox but no signs of change. I also reinstalled adobe flash player 10.2 but that didn't help either. :(

4. Dave H, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

Did Flash 10.2 come with the uninstaller? If it did, run it, then the installer, again.
    If that doesn't help, then in Firefox go to Tools -> Add-Ons and check if Flash is enabled.

5. srelyk, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

srelyk thread starter macrumors newbie

No it didn't come with the uninstaller, but I went to the website and got it. I uninstalled flash, restarted, installed flash, restarted, and then tried it Firefox again but it still didn't load. I went to tools->add-ons and all of them are enabled right now. I also reinstalled adobe shockwave but that didn't help either.

edit: I followed one of the Firefox troubleshooting guides and deleted the "profile" for mozilla, then reinstalled it. It actually worked this time.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Might be helpful to others to post where that profile is found, if you're still looking in on this thread.

7. srelyk thread starter macrumors newbie

In Firefox, go to the help tab at the top, select troubleshooting information, this should open a new tab. Click the Show in Finder under the "application basics". A new finder window with a folder XXXXXXXX.default folder should be found here. Delete or move this file to your desktop and restart Firefox.