Firefox not responding, can't shut down

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spellflower, Mar 8, 2008.

1. spellflower macrumors regular

I installed Leopard on my MacBook last week, and everything was great until the other day, when Firefox started "not responding". I'd go to "force quit" and force quit it, but it would "quit unexpectedly" before the force could go through. This happened a few times, and it was annoying, but when I started it again, it restored the last session, so all was well.

Today, I donwloaded a PDF from my insurance company, and went to look at it in Preview, but Preview seemed jammed. I checked "force quit," and found that Preview and Firefox weren't responding. I tried to force them both to quit, but all that happened was the windows closed. They didn't disappear from the force quit menu, but when I looked at it again, they were listed without the "not responding" tag. Nevertheless, neither program would open a new window when I click on it in the dock, or the applications folder.

I relaunched Finder to no avail, and then tried restarting. When I press the power button, the usual "Are you sure" box comes up, but nothing happens when I click on shut down or restart.

Now I just noticed that there are no icons on my desktop (there should be the HD, an external HD, and a few folders.)

WHAT'S GOING ON?!?!? ::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek:

2. spellflower thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I was able to shut down through the :apple: menu. I would have tried this before, but the toolbar was beachballing for a while, so I went with the power button. It didn't initially work, though. First it took away everything but the desktop pic, then nothing happened, so I held the power button again, and this time it actually restarted. When it did, however, it didn't give me a startup chime (yes, my volume was up, and no, my headphone jack wasn't in use.)

Now everything seems back to normal, but I still don't understand what was going on.

One last factor: Timemachine was busy when the last crash happened. Could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks for any help!

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its possible,

if everything is fine. then next time if this were to happen again, wait a little bit longer, if its because TM is busying doing something, the problem should resolve by itself. Just wait and see how long it takes

Preview hangs as well, so Im not sure if this is a firefox problem, but if you want to make sure, a new profile always gives you a fresh start. You should backup bookmarks and passwords first. all extensions and themes will need to be re-installed.